Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SCBA Masks With LED Indicator On Regulator

23 posts in this topic

:blink: At the end of this past year, my department upgraded theie SCBA's to the buddy hose and LED air gauge display on the regulators. We check our packs once a week,checking all alarms full bottle and seal when breathing down. Has anyone had a problem with the batteries not lasting? We change all of the batteries on our packs twice a year. The batteries that came with the new packs were just regulary batteries

Yes the batteries do not last. It seems like we are changing batteries every month. Talkin with the guys, the LED's are a distraction, and they also keep going out. At this point in the game I prefer the older packs over the new ones..

It may sound really like a dumb point since we all are to take care of our equipment, but with these new packs, you have to make sure that you turn off the bottle (obviously) and also bleed out the regulator. I know with out Scott 50's that the LED's stay on when there is presure still up against the regulator. I found out about this after I forgot to do this (stupid me) after a call and my display was dead then next time I used it! (Yes you may all say DOH!!! lol) I learned from this quick, nothing like not having something wqork on your equipment.

Depending how much you use the air packs, the batteries should last one month to three months. Just like pass devices, lights, ect. you should check everything at least weekly.

My Department has well over 300 of the new packs and have never had such problems with them. I personlly like them. As for not liking them and a distraction, just takes a little training with them to get use to them. its alittle easier to look at the LED lights when in a fire then it is to find the Dispaly to see how much air i got left.

I haven't experienced any problems with batteries, but I for one do not care for the heads up display unless you tint down the colors. In heavy smoke conditions the lights reflect off the smoke particles and obscures your vision even more or can give you tunnel vision. ONe thing that has helped is taking a sharpie and color over them to dull them a bit.

Are we all taking about Scott masks? If so then yes I have been having problems with the HUD's. Between not working at all, not working right, the do also seem to go dead quick. I just put two pack OOS my last tour due to problems.

As far as keeping air in the line which would keep the HUD's on, most packs have the intergrated PASS so this shouldn't be a problem, you need to bleed it, to shut down the pass.

Down in Volusia County we use the MSA packs with the HUD. Personally, i have yet to go interior with one, but from trying it out around the station, I dont really like it. The LEDs are way to bright, and way too big. The cause a big distraction, and I could only imagine what It must be like in pitch black with that shining back on your face.

Down in Volusia County we use the MSA packs with the HUD. Personally, i have yet to go interior with one, but from trying it out around the station, I dont really like it. The LEDs are way to bright, and way too big. The cause a big distraction, and I could only imagine what It must be like in pitch black with that shining back on your face.

I don't like them myself either...Way too bright. Old school for me.

I agree with the brightness of the heads up lights... during a recent, heavy black smoke - night job, with no visible light, my eyes were drawn to those dam green lights... what a pain...

been thinking of putting electrical tape over the green lights, leaving just the yellow and red exposed..

Be very careful with altering HUD's. The HUD was added as a additional means of EOS (End of Service) notifaction. You will get use to it just like you got use the the Integrated PASS Devices! Batteries should last between 6 months and a year. If they are not, then it could be bad batteries or a bad HUD driver. Tag it out of service and get it checked out. Most likely its under warranty! ALS .....is the rubber cover gone off the HUD display?

Stay safe

The rubber cover is still there, but in my experience they were very bright and as someone pointed out when its starts flashing, forget it. Just to clarify, I think its a great adjunct, I'm not saying to blacken them out completely just to tone down the brightness so it doesn't overtake your visual sense and put it into overdrive.

Also Homer J. brought up a great point that many of have stressed. When your vibra alert goes off, that means you have approx. 25% of your air volume left in your cylinder. If your well into a structure, you may have over extended your air supply time left to get out before you run out of air. This is particulary critical in commercial fires, and for FAST operations. A phoenix study showed that 1 in 5 rescuers involved in RIT themselves will need some assistance themselves. Balancing your own air supply times with rotating other crews if you need additional support is critical so as to not create a situation where numerous FAST members have to leave at the same time, or not again not get overextended to also become part of the problem.

;) the end of this past year my department upgraded there scba's to the buddy hose and LED air gauge dissplay on the packs,we check our packs once a week,checking all alarms full bottle and seal when breathing down, has any one had a problem with the batteries not lasting,we change all of the batteries on our packs twice a year,the batteries that came with the new packs where just regulary batteries

we do make sure the air is bled down,valve off and we also open the purge valve

i used one in a fire and it was alright- nothing great, i didnt find it distracting but i think its useless - everyone SHOULD be more than capable of looking at the gauge on their shoulder

I think having the LED indicator is a good thing because now you don't have to struggle to find the gauge. I have had our upgades for about 2 months now and I changed the batteries once. I dont know if its the brand batteries or what but I like having the LED indicators on. Im not trying to start a fight with anyone just putting in my 2 cents ;)

I dont mind the LED's, but I dont care for the fit of the facepeice. We outfitted our engine with 7 spankin new packs on 1/02/06 and the batteries had to be replaced 1/23/06 on 5 of the 7. They came with Lithium batteries in them, if they die in 3 weeks time there is a major issue.

Edited by CFD320

I myself along with guys in my company seem to find that these new packs just flat out suck. why change if its not broken im one for upgrading but these packs seem more like a problem then anything. 1191stdue summed it up

<_< My department got the new Scotts last year and we got a dozen defective bottles from the manufacturer. The "O" rings in the bottles aparently are bad and leak air into the system (doesn't matter how tight you shut the bottle off). So many times we've come into the house and the pass alarms were going off for an unknown amount of time. :angry: The dealer is taking thier time getting the problem resolved too. when asked about the batteries, they gave us a handful, not nearly enough to replace the ones we went through!

The LEDs on the Scott 50s we purchased have a automatic dimmer for the LEDs when you enter a dark enviroment so they are not as bright. I though this was required per NFPA. Any knowledge of this???

As per the guys that say they used the MSAs the reason they look bright is because you haven't used them inside yet. The MSAs automatically dim with 16 light intensities. Plus you could just leave them set to intermitten use if that is an issue with you. My guys have never had an issue the LEDs. They wish that we didn't make them change the batteries at the clock change per SOP but waiting til they die would just make them change one here and one there at every truck check.

<_<  My department got the new Scotts last year and we got a dozen defective bottles from the manufacturer. The "O" rings in the bottles aparently are bad and leak air into the system (doesn't matter how tight you shut the bottle off). So many times we've come into the house and the pass alarms were going off for an unknown amount of time.  :angry: The dealer is taking thier time getting the problem resolved too. when asked about the batteries, they gave us a handful, not nearly enough to replace the ones we went through!

There are subtle changes made to SCBA's on a year to year basis. A change that was made a year or two ago was the change to a bigger handle on the cylinder valve called the Tri-lobe handle. This was done after 50 years of the same handle being on Scott II, 2.2 and Scott 4.5 Air Pak cylinders. Basically they made the handle bigger so it could be turned easier with a gloved hand. That is the good part!! The bad part is that firefighters have to make sure every valve is sooooooo tight. We don't want it to leak!! Most likely the seat is leaking by because the cylinder handle has been overtighened. Take the cylinders in and have it fixed under warranty. If you need any addtional info, feel free to PM me....... thanks and stay safe

buy a drager pack....our dept has 32 new packs and 64 brand new bottles...all our masks are upgraded and havent had a problem with them at all...we find on average the batteries last approx 4 months....ive used scott and drager and i gotta be honest ill grab the drager any day!!!

Edited by capt9412

I first used the new airpacks with the ;ed display inside the mask at the county trainning center, for firefighter one when my pack had a leak. But since then i like to use that kind of pack. I have since then joined the tfd, and on our new truck we have two of these new packs and when ever we drill or anything I use the new led packs i dont seemingly find the led lights to be any type of distraction or anything at all. As far as matience we have had them on the new truck since the wetdown in november and havent had any problems as of yet with batteries but i think like any air pack by scott as long as u check and maintain the packs the batteries will last.

Edited by Towerladder78bigblue

Jetphoto its funny you say that our packs sometimes for no apparent reason just start going off(the pass alarm) ,we bleed them out and reset them correctly :blink: . Theres many more problems that i and others have mentioned and the one thing ive learned in life that you have to way out the pros and cons and its seems like theres more more cons than pros with these new packs, hey atleast we can still breathe air outta them LOL :D