Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EMS and 18 year olds

4 posts in this topic

I have been a long time lurker of EMT BRAVO and its one of the only sights that I visit on a regular basis. The information that is provided has been extremely helpful. I am a New York state EMT. I recently applied for a job at Transcare Mount Vernon. Through the interview process it was revealed to me that in order to work for Transcare you must be 21. Something was said about insurance and driving. This presents a problem because I am only 18. :D

My first question is this information about being 21 true or were they blowing smoke up my a**. Could it possibly be that Transcare Mount Vernon requires 21 year olds but Transcare White Plains does not have an age requirement?

My second question is if it true that you must be 21 to work at Transcare are there any other paid EMS agencies in Westchester that will higher an 18 year old EMT.

Thanks

I work (part time, per diem) at Transcare in Dutchess and yea, they don't hire unless you're 21 either. It mostly has to do with being able to drive. They need both partners to be able the drive the ambulance, that way one isn't being the EMT or medic all shift, while the other drives the whole time. I also believe that their insurance has a clause saying noone under 21 can drive company vehicles. Not absolutely positive on that one though.

Westchester EMS will hire you at 18 years of age, so long as your driving record isn't completely off the wall. Among other things. Also it depends how far you are willing to travel for work. Alamo, Empire State and Mobile Life are all up in dutchess county and more than likely they would hire someone 18 years old. However most companies that lean towards the emergency services will prefer to hire employee's that are 21 and up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but these are the impressions that I have gotten in the field.

Regional EMS in Rockland and Orange will also hire at 18 (and you are able to drive at 18). If your willing to make the drive its a very good company to work for.