Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VistaFD126

Ladder Trucks with pre-connects

3 posts in this topic

whats up with new (and old) ladder trucks having preconnects? such as yorktowns new one doesnt that mean it's a quint? if someone can please help me understand this whole thing thanks

A quint, by definition, has;

An aerial

A proper compliment of ground ladders

A pump

A tank

A certain amount of fire hose.

Within Westchester is a great number of quints. I don't feel that posting that list here is appropriate, and I am pretty sure there is a list somewhere within these forums.

My FD has a quint. It has two 1 3/4" preconnects and one 2 1/2" preconnect. We roll the Tower on all structural calls, which works out great for us. It has a generator, numerous flood lights, fans, saws, etc. etc. etc. On more then one occassion TL44 has been used to pump on some of the narrow streets in our district where fitting an engine and a truck becomes problem-some.

As for Yorktown's new L51 - I am glad to see that they went with a quint - they are so useful that to not get one is almost a waste nowadays. Of course, I see some exceptions in Departments with multiple aerials / truck companies where people are dedicated to doing the truck work and the engines do engine work. Our FD has 3 engine, 1 Truck and 1 Rescue company and we all pitch in and do a little of everything.

Over and out....