Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

EMS bags- Which is best for CFR?

8 posts in this topic

I am will be getting my CFR soon. I would like to know what EMS bag is the best for holding all of the essentail gear for a CFR but is not too big. Also, what supplies would i need in the bag. Thanks so much

To be honest, i dont think there is any reason to carry a bag for any reason, let alone if your only a CFR. Years ago CFR used to be worth somthing, but its been dumbed down to a beefed up CPR + First Aid course. Plus, i would let your agency worry about supplying your rigs, the risk and libaility is far too high to be stopping at car accidents these days. But, i guess a little "boo-boo" bag would sufice...usually just a small orange nylon bag with a blue star of life, buckels and a shoulder strap.

If you are willing to render care to others, I find that commendable. Don't worry about risk or liability-New York state has strong Good Samaritan legislation in place-as long as you act within your training. If your department will give you equipment, great. If not, there is nothing silly/stupid/whacker about throwing together some essentials and having them on hand. What I think is ridiculous is having to stand there with your hands in your pockets doing nothing for want of a few items. OK, time to hop off of my soapbox.

Buy something inexpensive-there are bags at WalMart that will hold what you need at a fraction of the price of a buff bag. Alternatively, there are auctions on eBay for inexpensive buff bags. Don't spend over $25-30 for a bag.

Fill it with:

-A ziplock bag of disposable medical gloves in your size.

-A disposable facemask or two.

-A pair of disposable goggles or other protective eyewear.

-Buy a small bottle of alcohol handwash at CVS/WalMart.

-A pocket CPR facemask with a one-way valve.

-Some 4x4 gauze sponges, individually wrapped.

-Some ABD pads.

-Medical tape, 2 inch being pretty handy.

-A roll or two of 3" gauze

-A pair of medic shears-don't pay more than $2-3 bucks for these at a flea market, or steal 66Alpha1's.

-Finally, a disposable space blanket at WalMart from the camping goods section.

I think it's great that you're willing to lay out your own $ for stuff. The disposable stuff, though-PM me. I'll get you stuff, because you seem sincere.

Good luck, and have fun.

And yes, I carry a buff bag in my truck.

And I've been doing EMS for almost 20 years.

And I still stop to help people out.

Call me what you will, but don't stomp all over some kid who has his heart in the right place.

Listen to scooter92, there are laws to protect us provided you dont try to do open heart surgery or something. Put together a small first aid kit like scooter told you about and include a small notepad and pencil to write down the important info for when the rig gets there. I like it when a CFR gets all of the history and the first set of vitals, than I can just load and go, and continue enroute.

But Stay Safe!!! :rolleyes:

I just want to say i will be taking a cfr course at cvac soon and i love what skooter92 said hes so right.

<_<

Listen to scooter92, there are laws to protect us provided you dont try to do open heart surgery or something.  Put together a small first aid kit like scooter told you about and include a small notepad and pencil to write down the important info for when the rig gets there.  I like it when a CFR gets all of the history and the first set of vitals, than I can just load and go, and continue enroute.

But Stay Safe!!! :rolleyes:

I totally agree with that statement. I started out as a CFR, it was great. I recomend it to all of my youth corps. It prepares you for becoming an EMT.

As far as the bag, personally I like LA Rescue, check out there web site. That is the brand I have. I love it!

PS- CONGRATS ON BECOMING A CFR!!! :P

i started as a CFR and still am for the time being untill may 18 when i tke my final exam and it has tugh me everything that i need to know on the field. i useed to joke around with my crew saying that i was the EMT with out the card t prove it because i knew so much and my crew taught me so much at my vac. any way it is good to have a small bag becuse it you are the first one their u can start care and some area it may be a while for an ambulance to get there (morning time!!!!)

Good luck, and have fun.

And yes, I carry a buff bag in my truck.

And I've been doing EMS for almost 20 years.

And I still stop to help people out.

Call me what you will, but don't stomp all over some kid who has his heart in the right place.

Lay off the negativity for God's sake... I'm with the above mentality...

Go online to galls.com and take a look at some of their "first responder" bags... Don't buy them from galls, you can easily supply one yourself for half the price, but they have good comprehensive lists of stuff and basic amounts to get...