Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Joseph Trotta, 87, Pelham leader

2 posts in this topic

Even though I never met Mr.Trotta, I have often heard of his qualities as a leader in the communities of former North Pelham and Pelham Village as a Fire Commissioner, Mayor and Town Supervisor.

I too join Supervisor Solimine and 1st Dep.Chief Raynor in offering my condolences to his family, countless friends and his fire service brethren. May you rest in peace.

Hank G.

Services set for former Pelham leader Joseph Trotta

By KEN VALENTI

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: February 28, 2006)

PELHAM — Funeral home visiting hours will be held tomorrow for Joseph Trotta, whose more than 60 years in Pelham were marked by community service as mayor, town supervisor, fire commissioner and senior citizens advocate.

Trotta died Thursday at 87, days after suffering a heart attack in the Homosassa, Fla. house he had moved to three years ago.

"There was never a more loyal person to the community. Never," Pelham town Supervisor Joseph Solimine said.

He was born in New Rochelle on Aug. 10, 1918. In the late 1930s, he married Frances DiNunzio, a Pelham native, in St. Catharine's Church. The couple settled in Pelham.

For his occupation, he worked 27 years as production manager for a New Rochelle company that made balances and scales for scientific use. He retired at age 60, but then took a similar position at a Mount Vernon company that made paint. He worked there 10 years.

But it was through his community service that he became known to the people of his town.

Trotta became a volunteer for the fire department in North Pelham in 1954, when that was a separate village from Pelham, but in the same town, said Ed Raynor, first deputy chief of the Pelham Fire Department.

Trotta later became a member of the North Pelham Board of Fire Commissioners, then chairman of the board. He later served two terms as mayor of North Pelham.

The current village of Pelham was formed in the mid-1970s when North Pelham and Pelham villages combined.

Trotta served as the merged village's mayor from 1977 to 1979 and from 1981 to 1983. He served as supervisor of the town from 1970 to 1976.

"I hope when it's my time to go, people will refer to me as 'A guy like Joe Trotta,'" Solimine said. "He was a real soldier for the town of Pelham. He cared."

In addition to Joe Trotta Jr. of West Palm Beach, Fla., the senior Trotta is survived by another son, Paul Trotta of Jefferson, N.Y.; a daughter, Marion Hand of Homosassa, Fla.; two brothers, Vito and Gerard Trotta; three sisters, Angie Sottallaro, Marion Tobin and Rose Leuzi; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

His wife died March 2, 1997.

Visiting hours will be held tomorrow at the Pelham Funeral Home, 64 Lincoln Ave., Pelham.

A funeral Mass will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday at St. Catharine's Church, 25 Second Ave., Pelham.

Interment will follow at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in New Rochelle.

The Pelham Funeral Home in Pelham is handling arrangements.

MAY HE REST IN PEACE...

MICHAEL ACORDELLI

VOL FPO

FAIRVIEW FD