Followers 0

Last call for chicken wings !

13 posts in this topic

Stock up on your wings/tenders/filets/fingers and legs! :angry:

Bird flu expected to hit U.S. flocks soon

Health Secretary warns congressional panel ‘it's just a matter of time’

Updated: 5:51 p.m. ET March 1, 2006

MSNBC

WASHINGTON - The lethal avian flu that is spreading rapidly around the world could soon infect wild birds and domesticated flocks in the United States, U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt said on Wednesday.

In testimony to a congressional panel on his agency’s budget for combating a possible avian flu outbreak among humans, Leavitt told senators that no one knows when or if the virus will pose a threat to people. But, he said, “it’s just a matter of time -- it may be very soon†when wild birds and possibly poultry flocks contract the disease.

Leavitt said that infection of birds alone in the United States with the H5N1 virus would not create a public health emergency. Such an emergency would occur if the disease mutated so that it became easily transferred from human to human.

The H5N1 disease so far has killed 94 people in seven countries.

Damn I need my weekly chicken wing intake, I think its time to stock the freezer!!! :blink:

Damn I need my weekly chicken wing intake, I think its time to stock the freezer!!! :blink:

I totally agree with you llm60.

Time to dump your KFC stock, boys.

Turkey wings, anyone?

They're gonna have to start breeding smaller turkeys ... I'd imagine most deep fryers can only handle a few turkey wings at a time :P

Uh guys, I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but, looks like any bird will be off-limits. :(

Rabbit wings anyone ?? :)

France confirms bird flu strain

France has confirmed the deadly bird flu virus H5N1 has been found on a turkey farm in the east of the country.

BBC News

It is the first time a European Union farm has been infected. France has already had cases in two wild ducks.

About 400 of more than 11,000 birds at the farm have died in the past week, and the rest have been culled.

Despite assurances that cooked poultry is safe, sales in France have fallen by 30%, and Japan has announced an import ban with immediate effect.

France, Europe's largest poultry producer, is to start vaccinating millions of birds against bird flu to try to protect its 7bn euros ($8bn) a year poultry industry.

"The H5N1 virus is confirmed as the cause of the death of turkey farmed in the Ain department," the ministry said in a statement.

This is the confirmation that the whole of the French poultry industry feared, says the BBC's Daniel Sandford in Lyon.

The farm in Versailleux, where so many turkeys fell ill on Thursday, lay just 200 metres from the lake where the first case of bird flu among wild ducks in France was confirmed last weekend.

The farmer then appeared on French television demonstrating the precautions he was taking to prevent his turkeys, who were kept indoors, from catching the virus.

The latest developments will lead to questions about just how efficient the protective measures are, our correspondent says.

Poultry sales have plunged in Italy, Greece and France since the confirmation of H5N1 outbreaks.

Eight EU countries - Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Slovakia and Slovenia - have so far confirmed cases of the lethal H5N1 strain.

It can be caught by humans who handle infected birds, but is not yet known to have passed from one person to another.

Scientists have warned that if the virus mutates, it could create a pandemic that could kill millions of people.

What about flying squirrels ... they have wings ... right?

Hows about frogs legs, let see why the fench like them so much LOL :rolleyes::D

What was i thinking?!? Time to stock up on wings :(

Not even cats are safe !!!! <_<

Austrian Cats Test Positive for Bird Flu

Mar 06 9:19 AM US/Eastern

By MELISSA EDDY

Associated Press Writer

VIENNA, Austria

Several cats have tested positive for the deadly strain of bird flu in Austria's first reported case of the disease spreading to an animal other than a bird, state authorities said Monday.

Two or three cats, all of which are still alive, have tested positive for the deadly H5N1 strain of the disease, Hans Seitinger, the top agriculture official in the southern state of Styria, told state broadcaster ORF.

German authorities last month confirmed that a cat on the Baltic Sea island of Ruegen had succumbed to the deadly virus, which it is believed to have caught by eating an infected bird.

That would be consistent with a pattern of disease transmission seen in wild cats in Asia.

German officials have warned pet owners to keep their cats indoors and dogs on a leash in areas where the disease has been detected

Cats too ..... so much for getting Chinese food.

What if!!??

we get chicken stem cells and grow just the wings!!!

JUST A THOUGHT