Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Graham26

Multi-Tools The Good, Bad, and Ugly

7 posts in this topic

What is your favorite multi-purpose tool like gerbers and leathermens? Im looking to get a new one and just wondering what some of you have experienced with them??? This might be an interesting conversation..... <_<

What are you going to need this multi tool for that might help us understand better

If it is for general use always go with a leatherman even the cheaper ones are really good and will not break

If it is for turnout gear get a spring loaded single blade

but again it really depends on what you are using it for

If your planning on carrying either of these in your turnouts for use, don't plan on them being effective for fires or if you get in a jam. You need to find something that you can get to and use 1 handed and big enough to cut thick wire.

Had a leatherman in my pocket, but it was impossible to operate with gloves on. Since a class with Mr. 2000 I carry a decent size wire cutter and a spring loaded knife, with a curved tip so I can't stab myself or puncture my gear while reaching behind my to cut something away.

Im thinking like more EMS kinda tool/ multi tool all use thing. I no there is no way that u can use a leathermen or gerber while fighting a fire its impossible. I shoulda have said more ems kinda like side cargo pocket?!?!? And like better than a leathermen? are ther any like that!?!?!?

There is no need for a multi-tool in the field. If something needs to be removed then remove it with the shears if it can not be cut then leave it alone. You are not out there to perform surgery, if it will not come out of the victim/pateint then leave it alone. Our job is to get the patient to the hospital in the same or better condition then we found them.

Im thinking like more EMS kinda tool/ multi tool all use thing. I no there is no way that u can use a leathermen or gerber while fighting a fire its impossible. I shoulda have said more ems kinda like side cargo pocket?!?!? And like better than a leathermen? are ther any like that!?!?!?

The Leatherman is a good tool for those misc. EMS uses. The pliers can act as an O2 key, the knife comes in handy for cutting lunch sandwiches and the screwdriver is great for fixing parts of the rig that come apart......