Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fireboyny

Taconic State Parkway N/B Bridge Overhaul

9 posts in this topic

I know this was touched upon in the Yorktown Station 3 thread but thought it would be appropriate to give it its own thread:

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the AMVET bridge overhaul in Yorktown and how it will effect responses? Seems like once the project is over it will be much more friendly to emergency service workers. According to Yorktown Patch, the following improvements are planned besides the bridge overhaul:

Installation of 31 Blue tooth traffic sensor<li>Installation of 7 traffic cameras<li>Placement of 29 portable message signs<li>Installation of 3 median barrier gates<li>On-site tow truck service for morning and afternoon 3-hour peak travel periods<li>Construction of 10 emergency pull off areas<li>Alternate emergency route signage

The northbound bridge closure almost $26,000,000.00 (26million!) 8-1/2 month-long project start date is March 26.

Delays are expected

Glad I'm not commuting on the Taconic in Westchester, ( or anywhere else, for that matter! ) :lol:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/tspnewcroton

To tell you the truth the southbound bridge has always troubled me. The guide rails for a heavily traveled roadway by cars that average speeds in excess of 60 mph appear to low for comfort. I am sure there are safety specs that back up their design especially given the fact that it was recently rehabbed and luckily no one has catapulted over and into the drink below but with the speeds, tight lanes and number of high profile SUVs on the road it sure looks like a "dive team response" waiting to happen.

fireboyny likes this

To tell you the truth the southbound bridge has always troubled me. The guide rails for a heavily traveled roadway by cars that average speeds in excess of 60 mph appear to low for comfort. I am sure there are safety specs that back up their design especially given the fact that it was recently rehabbed and luckily no one has catapulted over and into the drink below but with the speeds, tight lanes and number of high profile SUVs on the road it sure looks like a "dive team response" waiting to happen.

Does anyone know if Police / Fire departments have control over the digital signage? Or perhaps 60 control, or is it controlled thru some DOT garage?

Does anyone know if Police / Fire departments have control over the digital signage? Or perhaps 60 control, or is it controlled thru some DOT garage?

All the variable message signs are controlled from, and cameras and other surveillance equipment monitored at, the TMC.

If nobody has gone over while traffic is one lane and speeds are absurdly high, it will probably be a little safer with the speeds reduced and trafflic lanes narrowed.

I know this was touched upon in the Yorktown Station 3 thread but thought it would be appropriate to give it its own thread:

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the AMVET bridge overhaul in Yorktown and how it will effect responses? Seems like once the project is over it will be much more friendly to emergency service workers. According to Yorktown Patch, the following improvements are planned besides the bridge overhaul:

Installation of 31 Blue tooth traffic sensor<li>Installation of 7 traffic cameras<li>Placement of 29 portable message signs<li>Installation of 3 median barrier gates<li>On-site tow truck service for morning and afternoon 3-hour peak travel periods<li>Construction of 10 emergency pull off areas<li>Alternate emergency route signage

From what I read, with the exception of the blue-tooth traffic sensors and cameras, all that stuff is temporary. The median barrier gates, crossovers, Pines Bridge Road entrance ramp NB, emergency pull off areas and VMS will be removed when traffic is restored to the usual lanes at the conclusion of the project.

So, with the exception of the cameras and sensors, I don't see any real change for the emergency services in the long run.

Gonna be a nightmarish 9 months!

While we're on this topic are the DOT help truck drivers (State Farm Help Trucks) trained for any sort of EMS situations? Do they have the ability to communicate with 60 control, or local police?

While we're on this topic are the DOT help truck drivers (State Farm Help Trucks) trained for any sort of EMS situations? Do they have the ability to communicate with 60 control, or local police?

A few are EMT's, but not many. They are in communication via a Nextel system with TMC.

fireboyny likes this