Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Resizing Photos

1 post in this topic

Many members have asked how to resize their photos to meet the forum 800x600 maximum file size requirements.

I use a free program, Irfanview , for all my picture resizing needs .

Download here

Download and install, HINT: be careful during the install steps to un-check the options to install the Google toolbar and Google desktop, unless you want those.

Once you have the program installed, open the picture file you want to work on.

You can right click a file and use the open with selection dialog box, then choose Irfanview

Or, open Irfanview, Click File/ open, browse to the picture you want and select it, then from the toolbar click Image select Resize/ Resample...

Choose 800x600 Click OK.

Click File/Save As... *THIS IS IMPORTANT* Here, you want to rename the file a different file name or choose another location than the original file, otherwise the original will be overwritten.

Choose JPG as the file SaveAs type

Additionally, you can easily crop any photo in Irfanview.

Select a photo, Left click and drag to create a selection area, and choose Edit/Crop Selection

Then click File/SaveAs...

If desired, you can add a text overlay in a picture, to either create a Copyright © watermark and identify the owner, or add a description to the image.

Left click and drag to make a selection box where you want, on the image.

Click Edit / Insert Text Into Selection... Here you add the desired text, and can change the text font size and color.

(I usually leave the Text is Transparent box checked)

Click File/SaveAs...

Once resized, cropped, etc, you can upload them.

You can only upload a single file at a time. Using the Post Attachment Editor, browse to the file and select Open then click the green UPLOAD button. Repeat for multiple attachments. Then using Manage Current Attachments add your file(s) to your post.

For multiple pictures, make a new line for each attachment and leave a space between attachments so they don't all run together.

So, Now, Let's see your photos!