Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest FFNick

New Haven CT PD LODD

5 posts in this topic

I created a memoriam thread, so we can use this thread to discuss the incident. Accident happened at Chapel and East Streets at approximately 2330 Tuesday night. NHFD worked for a half hour to extricate P.O. Gonzalez, who is still in extremely serious condition.

Please post your condolences in the thread below:

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=27486

Such a tragedy...

I hope that we can look at this accident analytically and all learn from it, so that we can try to prevent such sorrowful and difficult situations from recurring.

I don't know what happened... but I do know that we must all remain vigilant to remeber that if we never safely arrive at our destination we cannot help anyone. We must strongly resist the urge to stomp on the accelerator when we think that someone else might be in peril and must have a profound respect for the forces in play when it comes to motor vehicles.

Not having the details [including knowledge of the location] I cannot make any assumptions about who hit who and in what way. I can, however, based upon my own observational experiance and interpersonal disscussions with others, postulate that one or both of these officers were unrestrained at the time of the accident.

We, as a group, are very bad about vehicle occupant restraint usage; that is Emergency Services Personnel. We feel somewhat invincible in our oversized overweight vehicles. We feel secure in our knowledge and experiance as professional drivers. And perhaps most of all, we feel secure in knowing that we likely will not be having to pay any fine for not buckling up since we can just have one of our friends fix a ticket, if a LEO even issues one in the first place. I am guilty of this as well. I virtually never wear any kind of restraint in the back of the ambulance, even though I'm quite good at remembering to make sure patients and any family that may be riding with us are properly restrained.

Although we generally are not required to use a seat belt by the letter of the law [at least in NY] we are not above the laws of the universe and are just as fragile as those whom we serve, perhaps more so due to the emotional aftermath of an incident like this.

Service details have been posted:

Aponte’s wake will be 3 to 8 p.m. Friday at the Celentano Funeral Home, 424 Elm St.

The funeral will be Saturday at 10 a.m. at St. Michael’s Ukrainian Catholic Church on George Street.

NHPD has arrested the parties involved in the domestic. WTNH Its one of the headlines.

Edited by DOC22
Made Link live