Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Fireworks exploded in stands at Dutchess Stadium 7/9/10

9 posts in this topic

Friday night after the Renegades ball game at Dutchess Stadium (They won) there was a scheduled fireworks show after the game. All was going well when suddenly a shell exploded in the racks. This caused a chain of events most people only hear about and seeing it for my self gave me a O-SHOOT feeling. The shot consisted of 5 shells tied together shot electronically so there was no way to stop the other shells once the signal is sent. The 1st one went up normally, the 2nd exploded in the rack. The last 3 other shells exploded as one shot through the outfield fence and exploded near third base a second blew a smaller hole in the fence but did not go past the fence. The last one went right into the stands between home plate & 3rd, This struck the roof of the sky boxes and showered sparks over the hundreds of spectators.

Fortunately there were only a couple of minor injuries reported. Had the shell dropped a couple of feet lower there could have been some serious burns and / or the shell could have entered a sky box and started a fire.

My department has a apparatus at the stadium during all shows and we had a ambulance crew stop by to watch the fireworks which is not normal (Renegades pay private EMT's during games)But it worked out to have a couple extra EMT's there.

As far as the fire departments response to the incident everything went well. The stadium helped maintain some kind of order to evacuate the stands.

But this could have been a real disaster!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Incident Alert: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=37697

TAPSJ likes this

I worked a show on Monday night in NJ . We had a shell go off in the gun. ( 5" shell ) It took out several racks, we then shut down 4 modules until it was determined the extent of damage. 2 modules were then turn back on, while 2 module remained off in the affected area. Computer controlled firing system. No fall out ever entered the public viewing area.

post-15681-062076900 1278750568.jpg

Did a fire work stand by with fire dept for Dobbs Ferry's 4th of July show. One of the rockets exploded in the canister when the guy lit it. He couldn't have been more then 5 ft away when it exploded. He sustained 2nd degree burns to his legs and arms.

Friday night after the Renegades ball game at Dutchess Stadium (They won) there was a scheduled fireworks show after the game. All was going well when suddenly a shell exploded in the racks. This caused a chain of events most people only hear about and seeing it for my self gave me a O-SHOOT feeling. The shot consisted of 5 shells tied together shot electronically so there was no way to stop the other shells once the signal is sent. The 1st one went up normally, the 2nd exploded in the rack. The last 3 other shells exploded as one shot through the outfield fence and exploded near third base a second blew a smaller hole in the fence but did not go past the fence. The last one went right into the stands between home plate & 3rd, This struck the roof of the sky boxes and showered sparks over the hundreds of spectators.

Fortunately there were only a couple of minor injuries reported. Had the shell dropped a couple of feet lower there could have been some serious burns and / or the shell could have entered a sky box and started a fire.

My department has a apparatus at the stadium during all shows and we had a ambulance crew stop by to watch the fireworks which is not normal (Renegades pay private EMT's during games)But it worked out to have a couple extra EMT's there.

As far as the fire departments response to the incident everything went well. The stadium helped maintain some kind of order to evacuate the stands.

But this could have been a real disaster!

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Incident Alert: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=37697

Yes, while attending the N.Y.S. Fire Chief's Convention (in 2000 or 2001 I believe) I went to a Syracuse Sky Chiefs game. After the game, the fireworks show began. After a short period of unremarkable displays, there was a tremendous explosion behind the center field fence. We felt a strong concussion in the seats on the 3rd base side of home plate. The show was being fired manually. The misfire severely injured the technician. The Syracuse F.D. was standing by at the scene and immediately initiated care for the victim. He later died of severe internal trauma.

A few years ago (5 or 6 maybe, I forget) I was watching the Lake Carmel Fireworks display with the family. First few shells went up then a whole bunch - like the finale, only very early. The show continued and ended.....no finale at the end. Found out later the finale got triggered either accidentally or by another shell and that there were a few injuries. All it takes is one errant spark.

se36,

Do you work for July 4 Ever? You meant Tube not Gun correct?