Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TAPSJ

Third Watch Questions?

10 posts in this topic

I Was Watching Third Watch This Morning, The 9/11 Ones Were On and I Was Thinking What Firehouse and Police Station Did They Use??? Or Was It A Set??? I Remeber A Descution Awhile Back About Rescue Me Using A Westcester Ladder and Possible The Fire Headquaters. So My Main Qestion Is, When They Are Filming What Do They Do With The Trucks That Are In That Station??? Is It Put Out Of Service??? Also How Do They Get Hold Of So Many Trucks and Police Cars??? Because On Third Watch, When Ty Got A Hot Dog From The Wagon In The Back A Transcare Ambulance Passes By. So I Now That They Are Not Just On A Set. Also, The Cars Are They Just Regular People??? Also, If They Use The Fire House Is Thier Some Sorrta Donation To The Company, Or Is Get Out We Are Filming. Also, Has Anyone Been In One Of These Shows??? Well I Am Really Curious Now Because Watching Them Now I Am Coming Up With All These Questions. Well If Someone Can Answer Me Please. It Would Really Help Me, LOL.

Thomas

Exterior shots were filmed at Engine 258 in Long Island City. There were some other exterior shots used at a few firehouses in Brooklyn. The Precinct shots are all exterior shots. It's the 108 in Queens. That's coming straight from a book on TV Firefighters, published in 2003. I HIGHLY recommend it. (Especially since I got credit in the book)

When they do filming for street shots, you may have seen L-115 out in the street. They are still in service.

When it comes to apparatus, the original fire apparatus were Chauffer Training School Rigs. The original Engine(1997Seagrave) went to Engine 76 after Sept. 11th, and was then returned to CTS after E-76's rig was replaced. The original ladder was an 84 or 85 Seagrave. For some of the other shots, they would borrow spares from Fleet Services. The Squad rig is a 1993 E-one that belonged to, or went to Pee Pee(I swear this is the name of the town) Township in Ohio. The ambulances were custom made, as were the police cars. Sometimes they don't need to shut down traffic for a shoot, which is why you saw the Transcare bus. I went down one night and watched some filming near Bellevue back in early 2000. I didn't care much for the show. But I will give them credit for handling Sept. 11th in the way they did.

Edited by JBE

Where Can I Get The Book??? It Sounds Very Interesting.

Thomas

The police cars and ambulances are rented from a company in Lyndhurst NJ called Movie cars (www.moviecars.com) the E-one engine was thru them as well. That company does 80% of the autos used in movie and tv shots in the area. Hope this helps.

Also the rigs used in the first few shows of Rescue Me were from the Metropolitain Fire Association. (the T/L and the Engine) http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/specialunits/mfa.htm .

Edited by CPAGE

Third Watch Precinct: It looks like a facade and not a real building.

I believe some of the other precinct shots are actually the back of the Warner Brothers Studio at 196 Diamond Street in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

Pixxcars.com is a larger supplier than is movietimecars.com as mentioned above.

Movietimecars.com had a bunch of them out on Saturday and Sunday at the Library on 42nd and Fifth Avenue for a TV pilot "The Traveller" with the library faked as a museum. Engine 86 from Third Watch was there. Sorry I had no camera.

the pct was a warehouse across the street from 258/115. they dressed it up for the show to make it look like a pct by adding all the details . dont always trust the books !!

If anyone noticed, the ambulances are all older Ford gas rigs. A friend o' mine explained that this is because of the horrendous noise diesel rigs make and how this complicates sound recording in and around the units.

FYI engine 86 is a mack cf-600 rig that moviecar got the Toms River FD co.2 a few years ago.

As for Moviecars they where the only co used for the Third watch show.