Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

LODD: Vol.Inmate FF Michael Davenport

3 posts in this topic

I know the issue of inmate FFs is a controversial one but, nevertheless it has been classified as a 2006 LODD by the USFA.

Davenport, Michael 

Cause of Death: Caught or Trapped 

Nature of Death: Asphyxiation 

Classification: Volunteer 

Emergency Duty: Yes   

Incident Date: 03/08/2006 

Duty Type: On-Scene Fire 

Incident Time: 23:52 

Activity Type: Unknown 

Death Date: 03/09/2006 

Fixed Prop. Use: Residential 

Fire Dept. Info: Mississippi State Penitentiary Fire Department

PO Box 1057

Parchman , Mississippi  38738

Chief: Commissioner Chris Epps

Initial Summary:   

Inmate firefighter Davenport was operating at a working residential fire when he became disoriented in an upstairs portion of the split-level house and was overcome by conditions.

Preliminary reports are that Davenport died from smoke inhalation. According to Commissioner Epps, volunteer inmate firefighters step forward to help local communities in times of need.

"Offender Davenport gave his life.  I am saddened by this tragic loss, but also reassured that he took much pride in his job as a firefighter. I honor his commitment ".

SOURCE: USFA

While he may have been in jail I must admire his courage, bravery and conviction. It is a shame that we lost a man that depite being in jail still helped and died for his community.

While he may have been in jail I must admire his courage, bravery and conviction.  It is a shame that we lost a man that depite being in jail still helped and died for his community.

I was vocal in another board against inmate firefighters especially those serving life for murder but this man did sacrafice his life and I do hope the good Lord has rested his soul.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD