Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest KFD236

Navy Ship being built with steel from WTC

16 posts in this topic

Here is a link to an article on the MSNBC website.

I did not think that this is right but that is just me but I have no Idea what to use the steel for. I wanted to see what anybody else thought of this.

This is the title of the article

New Navy ship being built with WTC steel

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12140834/

I did not think that this is right but that is just me but I have no Idea what to use the steel for.

Honestly, if there were three things I would want the steel to be made into they would be:

1) Memorial - not sure how

2) Fire apparatus - recycled if thats possible

3) military operations

Edited by EMSJunkie712

i hope they do use some for a good memorial but the rest, sure, make it into the USS NY...its kind of like a floating memorial. i think its a great idea.

Here is a link to an article on the MSNBC website.

I did not think that this is right but that is just me but I have no Idea what to use the steel for. I wanted to see what anybody else thought of this.

This is the title of the article

New Navy ship being built with WTC steel

Link:   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12140834/

I saw a special on TV one night about this. Most of the steel from the WTC is used in the bow. The ship builders are really pumped about this. Alot of pride. This is a good thing. When you see that ship coming towards you its awsome. Figting the war on terrorism with a part of a ship built with WTC. Very cool.

Edited by 210

Yeah you guys have brought up some good points. Yeah the steel good be used in a memorial. but like FIREFIGHTER57 brought up it is like a floating memorial. Well as long as the builders are using it and doing it with pride and not just using the steel because it is steel I am definately ok with it. I just thought that they were using the steel because it was available. But you guys have great points.

Thanks

This is what she'll look like:

post-839-1144202234.gif

post-839-1144202251.jpg

post-839-1144202264.jpg

source: www.fas.org

post-839-1144202369.gif

post-839-1144202445.gif

Its a warhammer, forged out of what we are all fighting for. You cant ask for much more than that. I hope this beast of a ship rains hell on the enemy.

Not all of the steel used to build the ship is from WTC but a big part of it is. Being a "brat" of a CPO, it is great to see this as one of the memorials. Some of the steel from WTC if I am no mistaken is also being used at the site as well for the memorial there. I am glad that it is being used and not sitting in the Freshkills. As for using it for fire apparatus, though a good idea, only because we really wouldn't remember it in years to come. With USS New York it would be seen worldwide. Just my thoughts bit the ideas I seen here are really good.

I would use the steel to make the biggest flag pole allowed by Navy rules on the ship!

post-79-1144209721.gif

By an instruction dated 31 May 2002 (SECNAV Instruction 10520.6), the Secretary of the Navy directed the use of the rattlesnake jack in place of the union jack for the duration of the Global War on Terrorism.

Save some of the WTC steel to help build the massive guns that will blow these terrorist assbags away.

Save some of the WTC steel to help build the massive guns that will blow these terrorist assbags away.

YESSSSSS NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

The 5th USS New York will be an awesome display of the United States Navy's powerful force.

When the keel was laid, thousands of Sailors from New York were invited to attend and take part in the ceremonies, I was invited, but unfortunitly was not able ot make the trip. Some of my counterparts went down and spoke about how intense this project is, not only to the shipyard workers, but to the US Navy and the survivors and family of the WTC attack, who were also on hand for the ceremonies.

All the steel could not be used, due to damage and the strength that is needed for the hull of the ship.

I will make whatever time is needed to be there for the commissioning ceremonies!

At the Bronx CPO's Mess we have a statue that was aboard the 4th USS New York (BB-24), ironically that ship's keel was laid down on 9-11-1911, we are considering donating to the Chief's Mess of the new USS New York.

I would use the steel to make the biggest flag pole allowed by Navy rules on the ship!

post-79-1144209721.gif

By an instruction dated 31 May 2002 (SECNAV Instruction 10520.6), the Secretary of the Navy directed the use of the rattlesnake jack in place of the union jack for the duration of the Global War on Terrorism.

Actually the Navy never stopped using this Jack, until 5/31/02, the oldest active commissioned ship in the US Navy was directed to fly the Navy Jack. Pass by my house, I have one flying on my flag pole and it's been there since I returned from activation, and I too will fly it until the GWOT is over!

Go NAVY

post-79-1144209721.gif

It's also one of the oldest Jacks / flags of the USA.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!!!

:rolleyes: