Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New '07 Shelby Cobra GT500 !

16 posts in this topic

post-839-1144870381.jpg

post-839-1144870410.jpg

Shelby Cobra GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter DOHC V-8 produces over 450 hp

Just as the original Shelby GT500 was the "step up" to big-block power from the GT350, the new Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 steps up to Ford's 5.4-liter "MOD" V-8.

The result? The GT500 is the most powerful factory Mustang ever. Its supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V-8 evolves from SVT's experience with supercharging the "MOD" engine to deliver more than 450 horsepower and 450 foot-pounds of torque.

The cast-iron-block, four-valve engine is force-fed an air-and-fuel mixture via a screw-type supercharger at 8.5 pounds per square inch of boost.

Aluminum cylinder heads, piston rings and bearings sourced from the Ford GT program bring a high level of proven durability to the drivetrain, while upgraded cooling components promise longevity.

"Powered by SVT" camshaft covers are the finishing touch to the engine.

The engine has been further tuned from its first application in a Mustang, the 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, a limited edition model of 300 units.

Helping to put the power of the GT500's supercharged V-8 to the pavement is a T-56 six-speed manual gearbox.

The evenly spaced gears mean less stirring is needed to find the "sweet spot" in keeping the revs "on cam" for power to pass, while at the same time making the most of the engine's broad torque curve.

The heavy-duty transmission has proven itself a willing companion to V-8 power in Mustangs in both road and track environments, including the 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, 2004 SVT Mustang Cobra and the new race-winning Ford Racing Mustang FR500C.

Great power requires great control

The GT500 starts with the solid 2005 Mustang underpinnings.

The all-new Mustang's platform was designed from the beginning with performance derivatives in mind, providing an exceptionally rigid, well-engineered starting point for SVT chassis engineers.

The GT500 features a MacPherson strut independent front suspension with "Reverse L" lower control arms, and a solid-axle, three-link rear suspension with coil springs and a Panhard rod for precise control of the rear axle.

This rear suspension design has been validated on the track by Ford Racing.

The race-prepared Ford Racing Mustang FR500C was purpose-built from the base 2005 Mustang body structure and suspension geometry to run in the Grand-Am Cup series, a class of road racing for production-based cars.

Competing against the best from Germany and Japan, a Mustang FR500C competed in and won its first ever race in the season-opener at Daytona International Speedway in February 2005.

To match this power and handling ability, SVT fitted some of the biggest brakes in the business to the GT500.

Fourteen-inch cross-drilled Brembo rotors up front and 13-inch discs in the rear continue SVT's legacy of great-braking Mustangs.

Secure footing is provided by 19-inch wheels wrapped in high-performance tires.

source: Ford Motor Co.

post-839-1144870488.jpg

post-839-1144870508.jpg

credit: Ford Motor

post-839-1144870572.jpg

post-839-1144870639.jpg

Sweet Car.

Funny those rims look similar to the one's on my SVT Focus. SVT's would look so much better if they could come out with a better looking rim. Otherwise, I can't wait for the test drive.

I love that car, already.

Nice, Hopefully it will be at this years 2006 auto show at the Javits Center.

Nice, Hopefully it will be at this years 2006 auto show at the Javits Center.

It was at last years and it is also at this years

It was at last years and it is also at this years

O, then I missed it. That was probably why there was a huge crowed in the Ford section

I went to inquire about one of the Shelbys in Dutchess County. The dealer didn't know how much the MSRP would be (but approx. 45k) but they do expect the markup to be about 14k over sticker price b/c of the demand. That's when I laughed myself out the door. FYI Funkmaster flex already ordered the first one from the dealership I went to.

:lol:

post-839-1148048818.jpg

Shelby Mustangs: $20,000 over sticker

GT500 will not be released until later this month, but dealers pre-selling cars on the Internet get high prices

May 19, 2006; Posted: 9:44 a.m. EDT (1344 GMT)

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Ford hasn't yet announced the price of the 2007 Shelby Cobra GT500. But, whatever it is, buyers have already indicated a willingness to pay at least $20,000 more.

The Shelby Cobra GT500 is a version of the popular Ford Mustang equipped with a 500-horsepower supercharged V-8 engine.

The original Shelby GT500s, made in the late 1960s by race driver turned sports car maker Carroll Shelby, are now highly coveted collectibles that can sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. (Far fewer of those cars were built than the approximately 8,000 per year a Ford spokesman says will be made of the new version.)

On eBayMotors.com, one Texas dealership is advertising a 2007 Shelby GT500 with a "Buy it now" price of $99,999. So far, no-one's paid that much, but bids in that auction were already over $65,000 as of Wednesday afternoon.

The first 2007 Shelby GT500s are expected to arrive in dealerships at the end of May with most dealerships getting just one or two to sell.

Ford's sticker price for the car is expected to be about $40,000. Some dealers advertising on eBayMotors are asking for bids in terms of the amount over the sticker price the buyer would agree to pay.

Currently, bidders are offering to pay $20,000 or more over the car's sticker price.

Shortly after the GT500 was unveiled in April, 2005, an interested buyer went into Corey's Northgate Ford in Binghamton, N.Y. with a check for $1,000 for the right to buy a GT500 for sticker price whenever the car became available, said Scott Prancue, the dealership's general manager.

"Thank God I didn't take it," he said. "I would have been fired."

In early May, Prancue's dealership accepted a bid of $13,000 for the right to buy one of the cars at its full sticker price. Had the auction been held today, the price would almost certainly have been higher.

Buyers who are willing to pay $20,000 or more for the car are trying to get the first ones produced as those are always the most desirable, said John Aguire, Ford's brand manager for the GT500.

While Ford sets suggested retail prices for its cars, the manufacturer cannot ultimately control the amount dealers will sell them for, he pointed out.

"I'm not surprised at how high demand has been," he said.

Dealers who are auctioning the rights to buy the cars are just trying to get a fair market value for them, said Prancue.

While it's not unusual for certain trendy cars to sell at prices higher than the manufacturer's suggested retail price, the amounts over the sticker price are usually a few thousand dollars at most.

There have been cars that have regularly sold for tens of thousands of dollars over their suggested retail price, but those have been exotic cars with prices well over $100,000 to begin with.

The right to purchase the first 2007 Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 produced was purchased for $600,000 at the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction in Scottsdale, Ariz. Proceeds from that sale went to charity.

The GT500 benefits from its relationship to the original, highly collectible Shelby cars as well as to the current Mustang, which has turned out to be a hit for Ford in its own right.

Still, actual selling prices will eventually come down to something at least closer to the sticker price, said Jim Hossack, of the automotive industry consulting firm AutoPacific.

"It's a handful of people willing to pay that much," he said.

Edited by hoss