Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Why All The Old Topics Are Locked

10 posts in this topic

Members-

"Why are all the old topics locked?"

We have added a feature that automatically locks all topics that haven't been replied to in 50 days or more. This will prevent "dredging", or members from posting in dead/dormant topics that are months, or even years old and bringing them to the top.

If you have a fresh perspective on the old topic, or the answer to the question, then please feel free to start a new topic. Or, to request a topic be reopened, please contact me via email, at EMTBravo@EMTBravo.com

-EMTBravo

For the record, I completely understand y you are doing this. In fact I know the exact reason you are doing this, but topics that are only a month old are locked. Did you mean to put 30 days not 50

Edited by Porsha911gt3

Porsha,

The starter of a topic has the ability to lock it at their discretion. That might be why some are locked but were active less than 50 days ago.

In addition to what Shantz mentioned, intially, I had the settings at 31 days, so all topics with no replies in 31 days are locked. From now on, it will be no replies in 50 days.

In addition to what Shantz mentioned, intially, I had the settings at 31 days, so all topics with no replies in 31 days are locked. From now on, it will be no replies in 50 days.

O ok the "from now on" part helps it make sense to me.

very good idea sometimes somethings are needed to be let go of ;)

I couldn't agree more. I look forward to reading new topics and engaging in new debate. It seems everytime a new member joins we have to go through 2 pages of old threads because the new member has a comment on something we have put to rest. There are other forums where the most common emoticon is the dead horse.

I couldn't agree more.  I look forward to reading new topics and engaging in new debate.  It seems everytime a new member joins we have to go through 2 pages of old threads because the new member has a comment on something we have put to rest.  There are other forums where the most common emoticon is the dead horse.

Just defending us "New Members". There are a lot of topics that I enjoy debating on, and I never realy entered the older ones for your reason exactly. But you need to understand...this is a forum for ALL of us to openly discuss these topics. I noticed a lot of newer members digging into these old posts immediately followed by people like you who have been here longer telling them that the topic has been beat to death, and please leave the topic alone. Well, the fact is, you dont have to join the discussion every time. If you see an old topic and have had enough of it...DONT RESPOND. Dont read it. Let those of us who havnt yet had a chance to add our opinions do so without being molested. Everyone has a chance to express themselves, right? Just let them do it.

By the way, how would I shut down a post that I had started? Is it in our control panel or somewhere in the posting itself? There were a few posts I had started and wanted to close after a while but wasnt sure how to. Thanks.

By the way, how would I shut down a post that I had started?  Is it in our control panel or somewhere in the posting itself?  There were a few posts I had started and wanted to close after a while but wasnt sure how to.  Thanks.

there is a moderator option in the bottom left of each thread you start to close or delete the topic

The "Close Topic" feature IS NOT there for members to close a topic when they are tired of it, or don't want it discussed anymore. It's to shut down a topic when it gets out of hand, until a moderator can get to it.