Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Safety Officer SOP's

9 posts in this topic

Does everybody out there have Safety Officers in their dept? Are they elected or appointed? What requirements do you have in order to be one? Just curious to find out, Im begining to believe our dept appoints anyone to this spot just to cover its a#@.

Id like any input at all about this, its a sensitive subject with me. Thanks in advance! :)

Jonesy

Does everybody out there have Safety Officers in their dept?  Are they elected or appointed?  What requirements do you have in order to be one?  Just curious to find out, Im begining to believe our dept appoints anyone to this spot just to cover its a#@. 

Id like any input at all about this, its a sensitive subject with me.  Thanks in advance! :)

Jonesy

I am curious to see what you get for replies on this one. My department is the same way...... But, usually you'll find him in the Radio Room at the station. Safety from afar ?? Ours is appointed by the Chief and there are no Safety Officer SOG's as far as I am aware.

Does everybody out there have Safety Officers in their dept?  Are they elected or appointed?  What requirements do you have in order to be one?  Just curious to find out, Im begining to believe our dept appoints anyone to this spot just to cover its a#@. 

Id like any input at all about this, its a sensitive subject with me.  Thanks in advance! :)

Jonesy

Does your dept. require them to be certified to NFPA 1521 level? We require a safety officer at every working fire, haz-mat incident, and technical rescue and under normal circumstances they will be 1521 certified.

Does your dept. require them to be certified to NFPA 1521 level?  We require a safety officer at every working fire, haz-mat incident, and technical rescue and under normal circumstances they will be 1521 certified.

When I took my Safety Officer class we were made aware of the 1521 standard but I was the only one from my dept. We were also told that Building Construction; Combustible was part of the requirement of Safety Officer and I cant get that across our Safety Officers head. ( Id like to get something else across his head too though! :) ) Everytime I showed him the standard he would say that it doesnt apply to our dept. Im glad you brought that standard up, I was beginning to think I was delusional! Thanks. :)

Jonesy

there is a state course for safety officers, i just taught one over the winter. it gives you all the answers you are looking for.

Id like any input at all about this, its a sensitive subject with me.  Thanks in advance! :D

Jonesy

What I did a few years back was run an in-house class for about 15 of our members so we have a good group to draw from at an incident. I covered building const also allthough not to the degree listed in 1521.

What I did a few years back was run an in-house class for about 15 of our members so we have a good group to draw from at an incident. I covered building const also allthough not to the degree listed in 1521.

Does NY State run an NFPA 1521 certification class? We have one in CT and I would think if there were an investigation OSHA would want to see a certified safety officer, not just some guys that took an in-house class.

I'm not sure but OSHA may have a standard saying that every Fire Department must have a Incident Safety Officer for on calls, drills, etc. and a Health and Safety Officer for the fire house. I will check and if there is let you know what the standard is.

I'm not sure but OSHA may have a standard saying that every Fire Department must have a Incident Safety Officer for on  calls, drills, etc. and a Health and Safety Officer for the fire house.  I will check and if there is let you know what the standard is.

Just a point of reference: NFPA makes standards, OSHA makes regulations, they are two seperate and distinct things. many people interchange the words regulations and standards, but until an NFPA standard is adopted by an AHJ it is just that, a standard that can be adheared to or not. Unless of course a case goes to court and then it can be sold to a jury that the NFPA standard is what reasonable person would do and that person in violation of the standard can be held liable, but anyway I digress.