Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy

Putnam 911 question

11 posts in this topic

Can someone explain the different level medical calls that are dispatched by Putnam and other Departments? The "bravo" "delta" calls etc. What is the difference?

Alpha - BLS unit only. No medic assigned @ time of dispatch.

Bravo - BLS unit and medic. Falls, general illness, intox.

Charlie - BLS unit and medic. Abdominal Pain, Falls w/ neck/back/chest pain, MVAs (w/o chest pain or diff breather), diabetic emergency

Delta - BLS unit and medic. Chest Pain, Diff Breather, seizure, diabetic emergency w/ AMS/seizure, unresponsive but breathing - potentially life threatening situations.

Echo - BLS unit and Medic. Cardiac Arrest, Respritory Arrest, Major Trauma, MCIs, etc.

Thats a rough outline of what each level consists of - it all really depends on what the EMD gets at time of dispatch. I think the whole idea is to prevent medic's from being dispatched on obvious BLS calls - its soposed to be more efficent. Working in the county(on the bls level), i almost dont even notice the call designations unless its echo because Putnam 911 always lets you know what you have. IE: "Medic 1 & Philipstown Ambulance, Delta level response to (street) for chest pain w/ cardiac history"

Edited by 66Alpha1

In Putnam Bravo level calls also get a Medic response as a result of a vote of the EMS Council

That's interesting... Bravo level calls are generally non-life threatning... what was the reason to go with a medic on these? Up in onondaga we generally send bravo's as a priority 2 (code3 response, BLS only on dispatch)

The program was originally developed in Salt Lake City for a single department to determine response modes in a tiered system with the idea being to both properly assign resources and limit liability while enroute.

Alpha Level: Cold (no lights/siren) BLS only

Bravo Level: Original program Hot (lights/siren) BLS only (Putnam has changed this to include a medic response on initial dispatch)

Charlie Level: Hot BLS/Cold ALS

Delta Level: Hot BLS/Hot ALS

Echo Level: Specific criteria only - Hot BLS/Hot ALS

The EMD protocol also includes an Omega Level response which is unused in Putnam County (inter-facility transport, etc.).

In Putnam (as noted), a medic is assigned for Bravo level calls and the response mode (lights/siren or not) is determined by the dispatched agency's SOPs/protocol.

Generally speaking, the farther down the alphabet you go, the more serious the nature of the emergency based upon the initial interview with the caller. It is important to remember that Alpha level calls are still genuine emergencies for the caller (traumatic injury with a broken arm, for example) and are opportunities for EMTs to really "shine" by practicing basic skills that make a big difference to the patient.

PC414

Alpha - BLS unit only. No medic assigned @ time of dispatch.

Bravo - BLS unit and medic. Falls, general illness, intox.

Charlie - BLS unit and medic. Abdominal Pain, Falls w/ neck/back/chest pain, MVAs (w/o chest pain or diff breather), diabetic emergency

Delta - BLS unit and medic. Chest Pain, Diff Breather, seizure, diabetic emergency w/ AMS/seizure, unresponsive but breathing - potentially life threatening situations.

Echo - BLS unit and Medic. Cardiac Arrest, Respritory Arrest, Major Trauma, MCIs, etc.

Thats a rough outline of what each level consists of - it all really depends on what the EMD gets at time of dispatch. I think the whole idea is to prevent medic's from being dispatched on obvious BLS calls - its soposed to be more efficent. Working in the county(on the bls level), i almost dont even notice the call designations unless its echo because Putnam 911 always lets you know what you have. IE: "Medic 1 & Philipstown Ambulance, Delta level response to (street) for chest pain w/ cardiac history"

Thanks for the response. It sounds like it also help to "moderate" the response so that you don't have units racing with lights and siren to minor calls. I think its a good system.

As a quick follow-up:

Putnam was initially going to adhere to the original standard with no medic assigned on a Bravo level call but that was, as noted, changed before the program was implemented.

At that time, medics would often ride as EMT on BLS calls, allowing the ambulance to respond driver alone. It's my guess that the medic dispatch was included with Bravo level calls at the start of the EMD program because there was concern that calls might not be covered as they had been in the past - sort of a compromise beginning for the "new" system which made the transition less overwhelming.

PC414

Yeah medics are now not allowed to ride as EMTs on BLS calls, however im not sure if thats a county SOP thing or an Alamo SOP thing.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Yeah medics are now not allowed to ride as EMTs on BLS calls, however im not sure if thats a county SOP thing or an Alamo SOP thing.

County.

Medic can ride as EMT if it's an ALS call and if the VAC DRIVER initiates same. We're not even supposed to "hint" over the air, however.

"XX-7-1 to Putnam 911, driver alone. Is this call ALS or BLS per the medic?"

(Putnam 911 determines same from medic)

"Putnam 911 to XX-7-1, per the medic this will be an ALS call."

"XX-7-1, received. We'll handle driver alone with the medic as EMT."

Nothin' else "flies," per protocol. Medic as EMT is not supposed to be initiated by the medic or by Putnam 911. The VAC driver, however, can ask on his/her initiative and respond accordingly on an ALS call.

PC414

County.

Medic can ride as EMT if it's an ALS call and if the VAC DRIVER initiates same.  We're not even supposed to "hint" over the air, however.

"XX-7-1 to Putnam 911, driver alone.  Is this call ALS or BLS per the medic?"

(Putnam 911 determines same from medic)

"Putnam 911 to XX-7-1, per the medic this will be an ALS call."

"XX-7-1, received.  We'll handle driver alone with the medic as EMT."

Nothin' else "flies," per protocol.  Medic as EMT is not supposed to be initiated by the medic or by Putnam 911.  The VAC driver, however, can ask on his/her initiative and respond accordingly on an ALS call.

PC414

thanks for the clarification PC.

It is National Academy Priority Dispatch and I used it where I used to work. I liked using it and it really standardized responses in a multi agency like where I used to work (CMED New Haven). Though we didn't use the "codes" over the area we did give / receive the codes from those towns who used the saem protocol. Made it easier to figure out what was going on and it was good for "CYA" in stead of wingin' it so to speak.