Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Pierce Contender SSV

9 posts in this topic

post-839-1146184761.jpg

Versatile vehicle meets needs in multiple markets

Pierce Launches New Special Services Vehicle

April 27, 2006 Appleton, Wis. –

Pierce Manufacturing, Inc. introduced a new Special Services Vehicle (SSV) for fire, rescue, government, homeland security and law enforcement markets.

The Contender® by Pierce SSV was unveiled on the opening day of both the Fire Department Instructor's Conference (FDIC) in Indianapolis, Ind., and the Government Security and Expo Conference (GOVSEC) show in Washington, D.C.

The SSV is a versatile apparatus that can be configured to meet customers' needs in mobile command/communications, incident command, special weapons and tactics (SWAT), explosive ordinance disposal (EOD), bomb response or mobile laboratory applications.

The Contender SSV is built on a GMC chassis with a choice of 14- or 18-foot body lengths.

With a 300-horsepower engine, the chassis offers more horsepower than a typical step van chassis.

In addition, the vehicle features more durable and rugged construction to better suit the heavy-duty needs of the law enforcement, homeland security and fire service markets.

"The law enforcement and homeland security markets have been looking for a product like the SSV for a long time, and Pierce is happy to deliver it to them," said John Randjelovic, president of Pierce.

"The performance, safety and rugged reliability of this vehicle add up to a tremendous value and low cost of ownership, and it is a big leap beyond conventional step van options."

The body is fully engineered and designed for emergency services use.

It features a corrosion resistant aluminum construction and 2-inch-by-2-inch wall studs joined to the roof supports for a stronger and more durable crash-tolerant structure. 

source: Pierce Manufacturing

Nice, the first glipse at the picture I took I thought it was a Chevy cab.

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Nice, the first glipse at the picture I took I thought it was a Chevy cab.

It is a Chevy/GMC cab with a Pierce body. Not really a fan of the Chevy/GMC 4500 and up models.

Thats nice are there any in service yet around here.

Would look better with a nice International or Freightliner cab on it.

Pretty cool, but it would be nice if it were available on other chassis like Ford or International, as trauma74 said.

This certainly looks interesting and unique too, the new Multi Cab design.

multi_cab_news.jpg

Aluminum aerial now available in 100' in addition to the 75'.

100ft_alum_ladder_news.jpg

Would look better with a nice International or Freightliner cab on it.

I agree.....the design and truck looks sharp but maybe with International cab.