Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

Fire Districts

3 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what the sizes were of the different fire districts around westchester (i.e. square mileage) and also (if you know) how many people live in your fire district. I was also wondering about how the fire districts we have today were determined. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks-

BedfordFire

Well not in Westchester, but up in East Fishkill (Dutchess) we cover about 54 square miles, with a population of around 30,000. We have 4 main Fire Stations, 2 sub-stations and our district headquarters/training center. Overall we have about 40 peices of apparatus to cover such a large area. We also have a Rescue Squad, Fire Police, Special Operations teams, Fire Investigation team, and a Support Group. We are completely volunteer with about 300 members total.

Somers is 33 square miles, I heard that it is the largest all volunteer area in Westchester. We have 4 firehouses all strategically located around town. Our headquarters is the Lincolndale house on rt. 139. Somers was originally the Amawalk-Shenorock fire department but since then it has expanded to its present day size.