Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD23

F.A.S.T. Team equipment

What type of Rig for FAST team responce do you think best?   0 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Rig for FAST team responce do you think best?

• Engine?
    • Ladder?
    • Rescue?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 posts in this topic

What type of rig is best suited? Rescue? Ladder, Engine?

What type of equipmet is standard for your fast team

what do you think a team should have that yours doesn;t?

How many members is your ideal team, and how many do your respond with ( max and mini numbers)

Personally I believe that a Truck Company is best suited for FAST operations....However my reasoning behind this may not apply to all departments:

Truck companies are more adapted to operating without the comfort of a hoseline, Which you are almost garanteed not to have in a FAST operation.

Truck Companies tend to already carry a good amount of the FAST equipment as a standard.

Truck Companies may be better versed to search & rescue tactics.

FAST Operations contain many of the same components as truck operations...forcible entry, search, victim removal, etc.

If your department runs as a TRUE Truck company, then these reasons may apply to you...if not, then they are irrelevant.

Also when considering a FAST apparatus, the time it takes to respond must be taken into account. Having a utility buried in the back of a firehouse isnt acceptable as a FAST unit...the unit must be accessable. I wouldnt want my FAST unit, whatever it may be, on the a** end of the district, It should be centrally located to afford a quick response from members.

As far as what type of apparatus, I think as long as you get all the equipment and members you need there, the apparatus has done its job. What type is your department's preference, whatever will work easiest for your district. We have been running an engine for about 18 months, and are more then pleased.

What type of rig is best suited? Rescue? Ladder, Engine?

Really depends on the department, and needs of the team Ideally, for me, a Quint because its multi-faceted, and can work other jobs if needed somewhere else. I also feel a rescue is a good because it carries rescue tools in case a more complicated rescue issue arises. Something like S-270 is suited well because it was spec'd to be able to function as a FAST unit. Something like a Mini-rescue,or utility body truck with crew cab, could also be a good idea because it allows the FAS team to deploy without stripping more apparatus from the district., as well as allow it to keep the equipment dedicated,set up, and ready for exclusive FAST use, and can possibly get closer to the scene.

What type of equipment is standard for your FAS team

Your basic truck company tools

what do you think a team should have that yours doesn't?

Thermal Imaging Camera ,Stokes Basket, FAS Tarp,Cascade unit,buddy breath system.

How many members is your ideal team, and how many do your respond with ( max and mini numbers)

6, Max, for accountability and control issues. Driver, Officer, 4 FF's

Well i think a Truck would be a good great for FAST operations because it would have most of the equipment on it already. However you can store all the equipment you need on an engine and use ladders at the scene from a truck if you need them. More importantly engines are more readily available than ladders and there are more of them.

Usually you would put your most qualified personnel on a FAS Team so having Truckies should not matter. In my department there are members from each different companies on the FAS Team so it wouldn't matter.