Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mdoyle32

What's The Stratford CT FD Test Like?

6 posts in this topic

What is the Stratford FD test like? I'm planning on taking it in November.

Like all the others you have taken. Seriously, last test it was the same as Stamford and Fairfield's.

Not to change the subject, but is Fairfield combo, or all career?

Fairfield is mostly career, but there are 2 volunteer companies (1 in the Southport area, the other is in Stratfield area). A FFD member could answer this better, but I believe the vol. units are mostly support companies.

Fairfield is mostly career, but there are 2 volunteer companies (1 in the Southport area, the other is in Stratfield area). A FFD member could answer this better, but I believe the vol. units are mostly support companies.

Both Southport and Stratfield volunteers have to have the same certs as FFD (FF I, EMT et al.) They usually run 6p to 6a with a crew at thier respective stations. Stratfield runs Heavy Rescue 15 and Southport runs Squad (mini pumper / rescue) 14 and Marine 14 if I remember correctly. Very rarly do they run during the day time monday through friday.

Izzy is correct with his info. We are all certified to the same basic level some even with more specialiazed training just like career FFD members. If there is a need the two units can be placed "in service" at any time day or night, ie for working fire/ natural disaster. When we are in service usually nights, both units respond along with Fairfield FD apparatus under FFD command 95% of the time. There are occasions where vol. units take command of scenes and situations as needed. I can speak on Stratfields behalf since I am a member and for the most part there is a strong working relationship with the Stratfield FD and Fairfield FD. Southport I am sure is probably along the same lines.

Also just to clarify the above, there is usually no home response unless the units are out of service due to lack of crew or daytime. When they are in service nights, the units are staffed for a said time period and the crew stays at the station until that time is up, much like vol. ems crews in the area, how they work a "shift" or have an on call crew.

Edited by cas2383