Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x152

Cornering Lamps - Question

7 posts in this topic

I have noticed on recent deliveries of the American LaFrance Eagle type of chassis' that LaFrance appears to regularly use a white rectangular cornering light on their front bumper extensions. This does not appear to be common with other manufacturers.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this type of light and whether it is an effective use of light for apparatus when cornering at night (or if there is interference from other warning lamps in the vicinity)?

Thanks-

We have an ALF TL & I find the cornering lights a nice thing when making turns at night. I am not sure it is so noticable for the driver with the warning lights on, for me it isn't, but it is nice while turning on non-emergency cruising.

I'm not sure about front cornering lights, but I can speak to the effectiveness of side/rear cornering lights. When we spec'd our Pierce midmount platform, we had them install a Whelen 700 series clear halogen on each side just behind the tandem axle. The lights are in a bezel that angles them back to 32 degrees rear facing. Both sides activate simultaneously with the turn signal and stay on for 10 seconds after the signal is deactivated. They make a tremendous difference and aren't at all overshadowed by the warning lights. With as wide a swing as the rear end of that truck has, it's really nice to be able to clearly see any potential hazards when turning at night.

I suspect the front bumper lights would be equally effective, and probably a good option for depts spec'ing new rigs to consider. In my opinion, the more light the better.

As much as I like using Whelen products wherever possible, I tend to like the docking lights from boats used around the rear axle area of the rig.

hull.jpg

I think if you use a particular lighting fixture at about 30 degrees it will illuminate the intersection or area that you are turning into quite well !

These are ones that I know of that have QUITE well !!!

http://romboutfire.com/6245.jpg

I believe they have been on Lafrance's since they introduced the new Cabs 7 or 8 years ago? however long ago.

Since talking about some sort of Lower body area lighting, Yorktown has some nice features of area lighting (Spotlights) underneath the back tailboards facing back similar to when they mount Spotlights under the Tralier Hitches of the Chiefs Trucks. Nice for backroads and general lighting purposes

Edited by ONLOCATION