Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

FAST Equipment - What do you have?

12 posts in this topic

I thought I would start this to get a feel of what others carry, and hopefully gain some ideas not only for myself, but for others reading this. Here's how we'll do it (I think).

Department:

Main FAST Unit:

Rig Description:

Minimum Crew:

Level of Training:

Equipment:

Other info of interest:

So, I guess I'll start it off.

Department: Croton FD

Main FAST Unit: E119

Rig Description: 1984 Mack Pumper

Minimum Crew: On board of 4, responding 8 (Rig only fits 4)

Level of Training: Essentials, IFA, FF Survival, FAST, Ropes, Bldg. Const., CPR, Interior qualified, annual Mask Confidence, Minimum of 3 years experience, physically fit, Extrication Training, ladder trng., size-up skills, mechanical inclination...

Equipment: RIG - TIC, Stokes, 4 pairs of irons, 2 sledges, 6 hooks, ladders, 8 SCBAs, 6 radios, 2 K-Tools, Hydra-Ram, Roof Saw, Chainsaw, Cordless Sawzall, Generator light, 4:1 rope setup, 6 team search ropes, 2 Large RIT bags, Oxygen unit, 2 bolt cutters, tool box containing hammers, screwdrivers, 2 ratchet sets, pipe wrenches, etc. PERSONAL: Full PPE, personal light, wire cutter, door chocks, vice-grips, knives, screwdrivers, search rope, bail-line, gemtor harness, webbing, window punches, multi-purpose tools.

Other info of interest: Team started in 1998. Will respond with TL44 or R18 is requested, as members of the team are trained on both. The team has 5 EMTs, 2 CFRs, bldg. const. techs, rope techs, and most of the team has construction experience. Most members of our team are cross-trained for FAST - Search, Rescue, Leader, Egress, etc. We drill as a Team once a month, sometimes more, and we drill on company levels usually once a week. Members of our team have no less than 3 Years of experience. We constantly look for ways to improve, and we are one of the most aggressive teams in the county. We don't stand around and watch, we make the scene safer for you by controlling egress points, monitoring fireground conditions, laddering the building, etc. Contact either myself, CFD320, Chris or CFDFASTLEADER in a Private Message for more info!

After a few more felatio sessions with the whitehat .......

Holmatro HCT3120 Self Contained Combination Extrication Tool

**Update***Tool ordered due in 7/19/04, Also 2nd TIC

**Update**

Those Holmatro tools are in as of 9/12. I believe one is assigned to E118 and the other E119. That puts a combi-tool on all 3 engines, and the whole setup is still on R18.

We (118) had a great drill with it while we should have been cleaning for inspection :wink: Unbelivable power for a manual tool, can use it at any angle and in very small spaces.

Just curious as to if anyone packages this equipment centrally and standard (such as on a sled/stokes or cart) for rapid deployment, and to ensure that the equipment is there???

So, like when you get to a scene, just pull a box/sled/whatever, and go to the staging area and your all set to go.

Our FAST Gear is stored all over the rig - the downfall of an older unit. When we arrive, we throw it all in the stokes and bring it to the staging area. Once we determine our assignments and goals, we generally divide up the "common tools" and leave the "special tools" at the staging area.

E-247's Equipment list is nearly identical to E-119. 95% of our FAST equipment is located in the long compartment above the drivers side wheel well. All the irons, sledges, hooks etc car wrapped into a reeves stretcher that gets a 4 man carry. From there we simply pile the AED, TIC (x2), Trauma bag, utility rope, rescue rope, spare SCBA, and other equipment on top.

A few notable items that we've added

6lb sledge with the handle sawed down to aprox 20inches. This allows for wall breaches in confined spaces.

We Carry 2 TNT tools. They are great for the lead man to use when making the team's way through a rescue zone.

We carry a Partner brand K-12 saw with multiple blades. The engines on these things make more power than any other saw I've ever used. They'll cut through anything. Unlike E-119 we don't carry a roof saw for fast calls.

We will often take our ladder off the engine, but if we respond with R-36 we seek out the OIC and examine the scene. If we determine that more strategic laddering be done we'll request that the OIC allow us to scavenge onscene apparatus OR place an additional truck on the box.

On a side note, we were one of the first... if not the first organized and running FAST team in the county nearly ten years ago. Although we don't get the volume of calls that we used to now that many of our larger brother departments have FAST teams, we still train hard on a regular basis. If anyone is interested in holding joint training sessions, we have a dedicated training facility at our sub station that we have shared with departments in the past. We've held joint FAST drills with Briarcliff in years past and Mt. Kisco joined us as they were beginning to put their team together a few years ago. We would be willing to share our training facility with any department that would like to train with us regardless of where they are located OR how much FAST experience they have.

Yes, we would like to cross-train.

We drill the first Monday of every month as a Team.

We recently revamped our team a little as well.

Our team is under the command of DC 2084, that is why you'll hear him sign-on for FAST Calls.

We have 3 Team Training Officers.

We have 7 Unit leaders.

We have a total of 18 members, 8 probies.

More info can be found at www.engine119croton.org.

you let probies on the team?

The "probie" mebers are probationary FAST members. They aree awaiting training classes or experience. They are not neccisarilly probie firefighters.

Ed,

Probationary FAST members (at least in our Department) are members who are allowed to train with us and respond with us, but are not considered part of our on-scene Team. They are allowed to respond to learn how we setup, radio communications, what we do, and to "fetch" things as needed.

If they don't make a certain amount of Team Drills, and don't complete the required training, then they get the ax.

If you ever move back into the area, stop in one night and fill out an application! :wave:

Oh ok. I thought you ment a true probie. just didnn't send right. thats why I asked.

What happened with bill king> I'm sorry to hear that he passed on. he was a great guy. please pass my condolances on to sharon next time you see her