Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Home AED

8 posts in this topic

they've been available at places like Sam's club and BJ for a while now.

Also available at CVS I believe. The key being they are available WITHOUT a prescription.

The older ones are gonna have to be reprogramed with the new standard. Hopefully the manufacturers can do it.

ok that seems a little dangerous don;t you think? i mean we all know what happens if you do it wrong. i would think that people at home don't have training on how to use it.

ok that seems a little dangerous don;t you think? i mean we all know what happens if you do it wrong. i would think that people at home don't have training on how to use it.

There is a training course with AED's for home use. People are "supposed" to take it.

Yes, we all know what happens if you don't use a manual defibulator correctly. AED stands for Automated External Defibulator. An AED will only shock V-tach and V-fib rythms. All you do is apply pads that have pictures on them showing where they go. The AED will not let you shock unshockable rythms. You push 1 or 2 buttons depending on the model and it walks you through it. AED's are virtually idiot proof, especially for us officers :P

The older ones are gonna have to be reprogramed with the new standard. Hopefully the manufacturers can do it.

The manufacturers CAN and WILL reprogram the unti to conform to the new 2005 Guidelines. The question is, will they charge to do it, and how much.

Actually, there have been multiple documented cases of sucessful rescues with an AED by UNTRAINED people. The fact is they work, and they work well enough for people unfamiliar with them to use.