Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Some seek to save old Mahopac firehouse

12 posts in this topic

By BARBARA LIVINGSTON NACKMAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: June 9, 2006)

MAHOPAC — Some residents want to preserve the soon-to-be-razed Mahopac firehouse at Croton Falls Road and Route 6 for community use, possibly by senior citizens.

While town officials are willing to listen, one fire commissioner seems to consider the topic closed.

The 1950s-era, two-story brick building is a recognizable landmark at a major intersection in town, around the corner from Carmel Town Hall, police headquarters and the town's main highway garage. An eagle on an weather vane still spins atop the roof.

The 11,450-square-foot building will be demolished when a new 25,000-square-foot building is completed on another portion of the department's 7.21-acre parcel.

"We are going to see if there is a way to reuse the building," said Councilman Carmine DiBattista, who added that he had been approached by senior citizens during Memorial Day events and asked if he could help them give a second life to the almost-retired fire building. He said a group was considering a petition drive to save the building.

DiBattista said fire commissioners had told him they would be willing to talk about reuse. He emphasized that, from his point of view, discussions would have to address the cost of renovations and maintenance.

But Peter Cantone, the fire commissioner and fire district board chairman, refused to talk about the issue yesterday.

"This is private property and no one has the right to tell us what to do with it," he said.

Rosemarie Spina, a 32-year Mahopac resident who describes herself as a longtime supporter of the Volunteer Fire Department, said she would like to see if the old structure could be recycled.

"As a senior, I thought it would be great for a community center," she said. "It looks like a good building. It's worth a try."

Mahopac resident Jerry Ravnitzky said it might make sense to use the money set aside for demolition to remodel the structure.

"It would be a shame to tear it down," he said.

After considering renovations to the firehouse, fire commissioners determined that a new headquarters was needed to house the taller vehicles that do not fit inside any of the current four bays. The town granted a zoning variance to permit the new building to be 50 feet high — 15 feet higher than the 35-foot maximum.

Construction is estimated at $5.7 million and the department secured low-interest, tax-exempt bonds through the Putnam County Economic Development Corporation.

"Some members of the public want (the building) to remain," Supervisor Connie Munday said. "I would certainly help to bring the parties together for a discussion if they would like, but I don't know about its feasibility or thoughts of the Fire Department."

The land is owned by the volunteer organization and the town collects fire district taxes on its behalf.

It is the municipality's largest fire district, with 5,665 properties, followed by Mahopac Falls and then Carmel, according to town records. This year, the fire protection and ambulance service contract was for $1,306,311, according to the budget. There is a substation at Crane Road and another at Buckshollow and Union Valley roads.

In addition to contract funds, the department raises money at an annual carnival. This year, though, that event has been canceled because of the construction.

In applying for its bond from the EDC, fire commissioners said the old building might soon need a new boiler and interior repairs and that remodeling it would cost more than starting anew.

They also said that relocating the firehouse to the site's rear portion would open up crucial space needed to maneuver 47-foot firetrucks, which might preclude leaving the original building where it is.

The issue could be one of upkeep, said 14-year resident Carol Hearty, a handbag designer in Mahopac.

"When you save a building, you have to maintain it," she said. "I wish they were putting up a smaller new building. This one is overbuilt like much of Mahopac. But I think keeping the old one would add an additional expense that most of us can't take on."

By BARBARA LIVINGSTON NACKMAN

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: June 9, 2006)

just a few thoughts on this. . . .

MAHOPAC — Some residents want to preserve the soon-to-be-razed Mahopac firehouse at Croton Falls Road and Route 6 for community use, possibly by senior citizens.

The 1950s-era, two-story brick building is a recognizable landmark. . . .An eagle on an weather vane still spins atop the roof. First off - i hope this is getting saved - that and the ring in front are two things that i'm sure alot of people relate to that building.

Mahopac resident Jerry Ravnitzky said it might make sense to use the money set aside for demolition to remodel the structure. Doing this for a living I can say - it take alot less to demo a building, than it wouild to renovate and repair 50+ years of wear and tear (NOT to say MFD hasn't kept up the building - just a construction viewpoint!)

After considering renovations to the firehouse, fire commissioners determined that a new headquarters was needed to house the taller vehicles that do not fit inside any of the current four bays.. . . They also said that relocating the firehouse to the site's rear portion would open up crucial space needed to maneuver 47-foot firetrucks, which might preclude leaving the original building where it is.

"When you save a building, you have to maintain it," she said. "I wish they were putting up a smaller new building. This one is overbuilt like much of Mahopac. But I think keeping the old one would add an additional expense that most of us can't take on." I'm sure it's not "overbuilt". new buildings have new technology, new needs, new designs, and most of all, more new space to put the rigs that god forbid, may come to her rescue someday. Everything changes - some good, some bad. New firehouses - almost requirement these days, since many have been around for a long, long time. Look at Ossining's new house - I practically grew up in the old one, and I'mpretty sure i'm right to say that was long overdue for an upgrade. I bet the "new" Rescue 14 was pretty tight in the old house.....

Again, just my humble opinion on all - No disrespect intended to ANYONE! :D

But Peter Cantone, the fire commissioner and fire district board chairman, refused to talk about the issue yesterday.

"This is private property and no one has the right to tell us what to do with it," he said.

That comment struck me. I hope it's a misquote by the paper, or the whole statement wasn't included, and that's not the FD's stance especially when they are building a new firehouse.

Private property? I'm not that famaliar with the area and the way funding works, but isn't Mahopac FD taxpayer funded? Are commisioners elected by the public?

If so, then shouldn't the public have a say, and the FD commisioners at least listen? Gotta remember, even if this suggestion of keeping the old firehouse, which I would guess isn't that feasible, we at least should appease the people who are funding and supporting us and listen to what they have to say. Good public relations go a long way.

Commisioners aren't gods- nor are they dicatators, they are there to serve and represent the best interests of the public, just like any other elected official. You're spending THEIR money.

Mahopac is a fire protection district located in the Town of Carmel, not a Fire District as stated. They are contracted with the Town of Carmel for protection, so I don't think they are technically publically funded, depending upon how you look at other contractors to the Town.

I don't know whay they call themselves "commissioners", but they are NOT publically elected.

They are elected by the Department only, more along the lines of directors.

I also think it will be very hard to save the current firehouse, seeing how the new firehouse is being built right behind the current one. It will kind of restrict the apparatus from responding on calls!

Edited by RES20CUE

I don't know whay they call themselves "commissioners", but they are NOT publically elected. 

They are elected by the Department only, more along the lines of directors.

I also think it will be very hard to save the current firehouse, seeing how the new firehouse is being built right behind the current one.  It will kind of restrict the apparatus from responding on calls!

When the department incorperated back in the 30's or 40's it said in our certificate of incorperation that there would be a 5 member Board of Directors hereafter known as a Board of Fire Commissioners. I believe it was done to make them "Equal" to actual Fire District Commissioners.

The new building is being built to the right of the existing building, not behind it.

Sounds like a real knucklehead to me, I’m sure comments/attitudes like that will do wonders for the MVFD and Putnam’s ailing emergency services situation.

Just because of one persons word's u shouldnt tie an intire county's emergency service problems to their words! that makes no sence too me.I have been a member of putnam county's emergency services for almost 17 yrs.. we all have issues but that statement is not fair.

I never tied Mr. Cantone’s comments into the reason for Putnam’s emergency services short comings. I simply stated, that comments like that 1) don’t help the MVFD (I don’t think anyone can argue with that) and 2) comments and attitudes like Mr. Cantone’s, across the board, don’t help mitigate the problems in Putnam. The volunteer establishments county-wide are under a lot of scrutiny today, published comments (which happen to come across rather arrogant) do nothing to shed a positive light on things.

Edited by 66Alpha1

I never tied Mr. Cantone’s comments into the reason for Putnam’s emergency services short comings. I simply stated, that comments like that 1) don’t help the MVFD (I don’t think anyone can argue with that) and 2) comments and attitudes like Mr. Cantone’s, across the board, don’t help mitigate the problems in Putnam. The volunteer establishments county-wide are under a lot of scrutiny today, published comments (which happen to come across rather arrogant) do nothing to shed a positive light on things.

Definitely. Even if the whole project is funded by private money and the fire company does own the "private" property, there still has to be tax dollars in the system somewhere. There is no way the entire operation of the fire dept is funded by fundraising or donations alone. So to come across with the "this is OUR sandbox, and you can't play in it!" attitude isn't the best idea. It's one thing to say something like that in private around the firehouse, but quite another to let yourself be quoted saying it. :huh:

I think there is a better way of handling this situation. The commissioner's attitude about dealing with the probabilty of the Mahopac fire house being torn down is not the best way to deal with a situation like this. The public should have a say in this matter but to have an arrogant attitude about it is wrong and makes the department look bad. I hope a resolution to this situation will come about.

I can't speak for the politics around the building of the new firehouse.

But I know the project was delayed for a while with various issues before they broke ground, if all these parties wanted to reuse the building shouldn't they have spoken up sooner?

This project has probably been publicly posted with the town for over 5 years.. Planning, zoning, etc.. all of which had to go before the town of carmel for approvals.. where were all these people during that time asking about the old building..

Mahopac is well on thier way to having a 21st century building that can handle the apparatus that the already own, instead of a converted "Ice House" which is what I believe the old building originally was used for.

""This is private property and no one has the right to tell us what to do with it," he said." -Peter Cantone

"It's my money and it won't be going to the fire department." - Members of the Public when asked if they will be donating this year.

Edited by WAS967