Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goon16

Speed Humps

12 posts in this topic

Whats your opinion of speed humps...we just had some installed on one of our streets. I just went over it in a PV and it was not fun I can't wait till i go over it in a rig ;)

I guess it depends on if you have an issue with speeding in your neighborhood...I will say while they might be an inconvenience they do help curb speeding.

I guess it depends on if you have an issue with speeding in your neighborhood...I will say while they might be an inconvenience they do help curb speeding.

Yeah, I guess you could call them a necessary evil in some areas. Annoying as hell, but they work.

We have them on a few streets down here. One street is a joke, they are very low and really serve no purpose. The other two streets have higher ones which require the driver to almost stop completely.

Having gone over them in a rig (and the driver not knowing they existed) I would say that they are a major inconvenience.

How about the ones in Coachlight square in Montorse FD/Verplanck FD. Last time i was there i think i counted around 20 and its less then a half-mile loop. It would take an extra 5 mins to get out when transporting a PT to the ER. cant say i them things. It was even better when i use to work for the town on a garbage truck and the driver would forget about them or not even no about them, it use to send us for a ride on the back of the trucks! :angry:

Yup Mike they are still there and still sucks when the PT and crew get knocked around in the back. there are speed bumbs and Divits in the ground and no way around them.i remember going in there early morning for a call and forgot about them and boy did i go for a ride and so didd my gear in the back of my car.

I have a sign in Verplanck that says "Caution speed HUMP Ahead" and when you get to it another sign says "Speed BUMP" What is the Difference between Speed BUMB and Speed HUMP

I guess they are good in some situations, like coach light square because of area's with alot of children, but in other area's they wouldnt be so sufficient.

we have quite a few neighborhoods in our area thet have have these speed humps and the only thing they seem to do is slow down emergency equipment responing to calls. They sure don't seem to slow down cars.

I remember FDNY did some type of study on speed bumps on SI a few years back. They timed a truck, an engine and an ambulance going along a certain distance both with and without speedbumps and the differences were remarkable. Personally I see there may be a need for them within parking lots or some gated community type private roads but I think they are more trouble than they are worth in most places.

Speed Bump is narrow like 1 foot which you have to usually stop your Fire Apparatus and roll the tires over, especially the rears.

These are mostly found in condo complexes.

Speed Hump is much longer around 6 foot meant to slow approaching traffic down but you usually don't have to come to a complete stop to cross it.

Thanks for all the feed back. The one street in my town has got 4 new ones on it and its retarted. I can see the need for 2 or 3 not 4 or 5. We had one on one of our busy/main streets and we hod to come to almost a complete stop just to get over them with out killing anyone.

Speed humps are good to put on streets where people speed but not on every street.Also it is not very helpful because small cars like a Mazda 3 could easily bottom out.