Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Bridge & Tunnel Fire supression

6 posts in this topic

For a car fire in one of the TBTA tunnels, I'm assuming FDNY responds.

But for a car fire in the Holland or Lincoln, who puts it out? PAPD? What about the SI Bridges and the GWB? I saw pictures on fdnytrucks.com of PAPD wrecker equipment that seemed to have some purple k capability.

thank you

Edited by 23piraf

FDNY definitely responds to calls on the GWB, I've seen both Manhattan and Bronx units operating on it quite a few times. I'm certain I've also heard of them operating in the Lincoln and Holland tunnels. Not too sure about the SI bridges though. I'm sure someone here pays a lot more attention to FDNY than I do and will be able to tell you for sure.

I have seen the PAPD tow units also have fire suppresion pumps and reel hoses on them I don't know if they are agent extinguishers or water. FDNYTrucks.com had pictures of these units under Other Agencies. I think the local fire departments, depending which side of the Hudson respond also but this I am unsure of now. Hopefully one of the FDNY guys here can tells us.

I beleive it depends on the direction.. If its inbound to the city, I belive that the agency on that side would respond.. Meaning if there was a car fire in-bound to the city on the GWB, Fort Lee FD would respond.. Same with the tunnels.. NHRFR would respond in-bound for the Lincoln Tunnel and Jersey City FD in-bound for the Holland Tunnel.. Im not 100% sure on that but I beleive thats how it works..

Most of the bridges and tunnels FDNY will respond and stage. They will then make contact with PAPD or TBTA and check the status of the call. Some bridges they will go over and investigate.

Most if not all the bridges and tunnels have some form of fire protection.. Many do have the small crash trucks that have the ablitity to put out car fires.

Edited by tbendick

i have passed a serious mva 2 years ago on the verazzano bridge, and there was FDNY units on location. as far as the lincoln and holland tunnels, they have about 90 fans that cirulate the air every 90 seconds. so in the event of a car fire the fans exhaust the air. they papd crash rescue trucks usually get out most car fires with out the fd units entering the tunnels. same for the battey tunnel. as far as the bridges such as the brooklyn bridge for example a fdny marine unit would hook into a hard pipe at the base of the bridge and on the bridge a engine would be suppled. in this case by the east river.