Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A Firefighter's Personal Liability?

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering. While performing his/her job for their department, can a firefighter be held personally liable for something that happens at work? Or are they covered by their employer?

Like EMS is protected by the Good Samaritan law, is their the same for firefighters?

A good person to ask this question to would be the Ex-chief in Lairdsville, NY. If you recall, he killed a probationary firefighter during a live burn in a acquired structure. If I recall correctly, he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter with a jail sentence of around 16 months. That sounds like being held personally liable to me.

This case was also the reason for a NY mandated live burn policy regarding live fire training. The morale of the story is if you do somthing stupid, against written standards, SOG's, or Department policies. you can and probably will be held liable.

A good person to ask this question to would be the Ex-chief in Lairdsville, NY. If you recall, he killed a probationary firefighter during a live burn in a acquired structure. If I recall correctly, he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter with a  jail sentence of around 16 months. That sounds like being held personally liable to me.

That's why it is also very important for your training officer to document all training. If it's not written, it wasn't done.

EMS IS NOT PROTECTED BY GOOD SAM LAWS. THESE LAWS PROTECT UNTRAINED CITIZENS IN GOOD FAITH ATTEMPTS TO ASSIST. EMS IS PROTECTED BY NYS AND REGIONAL PROTOCALLS. IF YOU ARE A "TRAINED" EMS PROVIDER AND PERFORM A FUNCTION BEYOND YOUR TRAINING... YOU WILL HAVE ALOT OF EXPLAINING TO DO TO A PERSON IN A BLACK ROBE AT A TALL BENCH.

Is in it amazing that being a EMT for the State of New York you have to have CME'S or retest every few years but if your a firefighter--there is no testing either to belong to a vol organization or to continue in the service. there are no skills testing ,no exams. no mandates

just my thoughts not bashing any one or organization