Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WHarley3

Scene Support Ops WCFTC Probaly Cancelled Again

7 posts in this topic

How is it that nobody is enrolling in this class? It would seem there are plenty of support only members that this would apply to, but is most of this kind of training done in house anyways? Who is this class marketed to then?

This would be a good class to open to Explorers.

SCENE SUPPORT OPS.

(Bulletin #06-46)

Chief's and Training Officer's;

This course is scheduled to be begin on June 22.  To date, only four students have been registered.  Unless enough students are registered by Monday June 19, the course will have to be cancelled.

If cancelled, this will be the fourth failed attempt to conduct the SSO course.

Student's who complete this course can later bridge into the Firefighter-I course at unit #4.  It also allows those waiting to receive Firefighter-I training, the ability to act in an exterior fire-ground support role. 

Although it is a stand alone course designed for those individuals who do not desire to become interior firefighter's, it is also a component of the Firefighter-I curriculum.

Edited by WHarley3

Explorers are not Fire Fighters. They should not be on the fire ground. Junior FF"s should not be on the fire ground. If you don't believe this to be true check with your departments attorney. It is great to involve the younger FF's, they truly are the future of our departments, but we must look out for their best interest. NYS Child Labor Laws protect them and so should we. The SSO class is for older members, driver only and Fire Police. If a member who is on the fence about FF 1 and they take this class it usually wets their appetite to go on to finish out FF 1. Junior members of a department are great to train. Remember that even if they graduate a SSO class or FF 1, they should not be on the fire ground.

It amazes me that there are some courses being cancelled due to low enrollment on one hand and on the other there are some classes you can't even touch because of popularity......maybe there should be more FF2, pump ops, AVET etc....

Please allow me to clarify a few things:

1) The SSO class is being scheduled because departments are asking for the class to run. The WCFTC tries to provide what training Chiefs ask for.

2) Over the past few years, the bulk of the Instructors time has been spent providing Firefighter 1 programs. Each year over twelve FF 1 courses are delivered.Westchester County put more Firefighters through the FF1 program than all the other counties in NY state combined! Again, this is what the Chiefs requested.

3) There is probably a need for more fire training programs to be delivered due to the high demand. Although the WCFTC is a great facility, there are only so many classrooms and equipment available to run these programs.

4) If you have certain concerns regarding programs delivered at the WCFTC, voice them to your Chief, and have him attend the next DES meeting scheduled for June 20 at the WCFTC.

Way to go VV. Scene Support has been asked for by the Chief's. It's intended to give those members, not interior firefighters, some training so they can be usefull on the fire ground. It's a bridge into firefighter 1, it's actually the first four lessons.

AS VV stated Westchester has produced more FF1 classes then any other county in the State. More are on the schedule-- stay tuned. all other classes are on the schedule or in the process of being assignes Instructors.

This training center is yours to take advantage of--ask any they wil help any department set up what they feel they need in training.

I have suggested to departments to set up "department nights, or department days on weekends".

just my thoughts

Explorers are not Fire Fighters.  They should not be on the fire ground.  Junior FF"s should not be on the fire ground.  If you don't believe this to be true check with your departments attorney.  It is great to involve the younger FF's, they truly are the future of our departments, but we must look out for their best interest.  NYS Child Labor Laws protect them and so should we.  The SSO class is for older members, driver only and Fire Police.  If a member who is on the fence about FF 1 and they take this class it usually wets their appetite to go on to finish out FF 1.  Junior members of a department are great to train.  Remember that even if they graduate a SSO class or FF 1, they should not be on the fire ground.

I disagree. They do have a place on the fire ground just like other "support" personnel. If properly trained and supervised, juniors are an important asset on the foreground doing alot of the "grunt" work that many older support people may not be willing to do. The SSO class would be perfect for them.

You are also wrong about NYS Child Labor Laws protecting them. When we first formed our Junior Corps I looked into this and received an opinion from a NYS Dept of Labor Attorney that said since they are not being compensated, child labor laws do not apply. That being said, it would be foolish for any officer to put a J/C member in a dangerous situation.

Well that decision makes allot of sense. Since Fire Fighters aren't compensated but are entitled to benefits like workman's compensation, department life insurance, VFBL, PSOB, personal liability and disability. If I were you I would take the legal issues for the Volunteer Fire Service Course presented by an attorney that actually looks out for the fire service.