Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

FDNY Staffing Floaters?

4 posts in this topic

I know some career/combo FDs up here have "floaters", i.e. guys who cover or just ride extra.

Does FDNY have guys who float house to house or does Communications just dispatch a 10-14?

The only floaters the FDNY have are the officers. All firefighters are assigned to a compnay but they can be detailed out to work in another company for a tour only if they happen to be riding heavy that day.

10-14 = Roster staffing

Most of FDNY's Engines are staffed by 1 Officer and 4FF's. Theses are called 4man engines.

5 Man Engines are staffed by 1 Officer and 5FF's. aka 5man Engines. There are 64, 5man Engines in the city.

If there is a 4man Engine dispatched on a strucal run, the housewatch man of the 4man engine will hit the 10-14 button instead of 10-4 which then will cue the dispatcher for a extra engine. This is why you hear the dispatcher call the Battalion and tell him Engine XX is your 10-14 Engine. The 10-14 Engine will be the 3rd due Engine and can be either 4 or 5man.

If a 5man Engine goes down a person during the tour then they will also use the 10-14 button.

------------------------

Just like quervo2300 said, there are only officers who float.

Captains are assinged to a Division once they get promoted.

Lts get assinged to a Battalion once they get promoted.

Until they get assinged a Firehouse, each day they call the Division Staffing office and find out which firehouse they will be working at. They can do any place in the city.

------------------------

FDNY has a required staffing level for the start of each tour.

Ladders 1off and 5ff

Engine 1off and 4ff or 1off and 5ff.

Each Firehouse will have 6 FF's on the chart for each tour. Sometimes all 6 will show up and then the extra guys will get sent to other firehouses to fill the voids. After all the extra guys are sent out to other firehouses, they then will start to hire OT.

However if there is a fire and lets say all the ffs from the 1st due truck go sick. They will not hire overtime after the start of the tour. They instead will take the 5th ff from the 5man engines and send them to cover the truck for the remainder of the tour. So about 64 ffs could go sick during the tour before we would start to ride short of the trucks.

I thought this was sort of along the lines of staffing:

The city has been holding about 4 academy classes a year, in recent years. Is this a normal hiring rate or is it still a faster pace? I've heard that the average retirement rate is a few less than 500 a year. True?

In short, how many class will be held in the 2006 - 2007 dept fiscal year? I know the first is in Nov.

Edited by lfdR1