Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should everyone have access to this ?

13 posts in this topic

What do you think ? Should I, or anyone in the world with an internet connection have access to this US Navy deployment info (updated daily) ??????

I do not think so !Why should a civilian be privy to the status and location of every ship in our Fleet ??? Aren't we "supposedly" at war ? Disturbing......

Ships and Submarines

Deployable Battle Force Ships: 281 

Ships Underway (away from homeport): 140 ships (50% of total) 

On deployment: 107 ships (38% of total) 

Attack submarines underway

(away from homeport): 23 submarines (43%) 

On deployment: 11 submarines (20%) 

Ships Underway 

Carriers: 

USS Kitty Hawk (CV 63) - Philippine Sea 

USS Enterprise (CVN 65) - Persian Gulf 

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) - Atlantic Ocean 

USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) - Philippine Sea 

USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) - Pacific Ocean 

USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) - Philippine Sea 

Command Ships: 

USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) - Pacific Ocean 

USS Mount Whitney (LCC 20) - Atlantic Ocean 

Hospital Ships 

USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) - Sulu Sea 

Peleliu Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG): 

USS Peleliu (LHA 5) - Persian Gulf 

USS Ogden (LPD 5) - Persian Gulf 

USS Germantown (LSD 42) - North Arabian Sea 

Iwo Jima Expeditionary Strike Group (ESG): 

USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) - Mediterranean Sea 

USS Nashville (LPD 13) - Mediterranean Sea 

USS Whidbey Island (LSD 41) - port visit, Rota, Spain 

Amphibious Warfare Ships: 

USS Saipan (LHA 2) - Atlantic Ocean 

USS Essex (LHD 2) - East China Sea 

USS Bataan (LHD 5) - Atlantic Ocean 

USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) - Pacific Ocean 

USS Austin (LPD 4) - Atlantic Ocean 

USS Trenton (LPD 14) - Indian Ocean 

USS San Antonio (LPD 17) - Atlantic Ocean 

USS Fort McHenry (LSD 43) - port visit, Mayport, Fla. 

USS Tortuga (LSD 46) - port visit, Sattahip, Thailand 

Aircraft (operational): 4000+

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy.asp?id=146

Edited by hoss

What do you think ? Should I, or anyone in the world with an internet connection have access to this US Navy deployment info (updated daily) ??????

I do not think so !Why should a civilian be privy to the status and location of every ship in our Fleet ??? Aren't we "supposedly" at war ? Disturbing......

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy.asp?id=146

Actually you are allowed to know it. If you want you can look-up there weather reports and find there last positions. Ship usually transmit weather reports ever 12 hours unless they are in heavy weather then it increases to every 6 hours or less.

If you go here you can look up every ship in the world that is sailing.

Sail WX Reports

But this is only for vessels over 150 Gross Tons that are mandated by the IMO to report. (International Maritime Organization which is a part of the UN)

Please, judging from this administrations record, I'm sure when necessary they will withhold the appropriate info from public view.

Ships, fighter groups, attack groups, regiments, ect deployment information is allowed by the government for public knowledge. However if they are on a specific mission, then the movement of such units are not disclosed for saftey of the men and women and also incase a "suprise" is needed against the enemy target (about the best way I can put it)

Interesting that we are at war in the gulf, yet have three Carriers in the Phillipine Sea. Hmmmm.

Interesting that we are at war in the gulf, yet have three Carriers in the Phillipine Sea. Hmmmm.

I think they just finisehd an excercise there.

This is going to turn into a political discussion... I can see that coming quickly... The point of the topic was to point out that this is a lot of information for anyone to have access to (perhaps noting a hole in "good security").

Please, judging from this administrations record, I'm sure when necessary they will withhold the appropriate info from public view.

If the government thought it in our best interests not to know, we wouldn't. If you really think you are the ultimate knowledgable citizen who knows everything the government does, you're an idiot. There are things kept from the public on a daily basis for our safety, peace, and best interests (whatever they may be). Have a little trust, rather than arrogance and defiance. It works better that way.

We should probably put all our ships where we're fighting right now. That would make sense... leave every other place on the planet vulnerable, but still, makes sense, right? Last time we kept all our ships in one place the navy learned a very valuable lesson... that and we entered into a world war.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the information as it is released. Do you think any nation that is at odds with us doesn't know when and what ships leave port and with what attached to them? Also much of the information is generic, it just says a general location not specifics as to location and some of them may not be up to date or listed as to what geographical area they are assigned to.

3 carriers in the Philippine sea doesn't surprise me, the world is round and you only need so many carriers per conflict and with things going on in asia, right place right time.

I was gonna stay out of this one, but....

First off, ny10570, I would expect any administration to "withhold the appropriate info from public view", when they have to.

Now as for posting where the ships are generally located. I'm gonna guess and say that if you have the capability to attack one of our boats out in the water, then you probably have the capability to find it on your own.

I wouldn't let this worry me.

With the exception of saying they are underway in specific bodies of water, there really isn't much else in the way of specifics.

I understand where Hoss is coming from, though. If you notice, it doesn't say where the cruisers, frigates, or destroyers are. Nor do you see where the subs are. The ships that can inflict the most damage are not on this list. The war we are fighting isn't a war where the enemy has ships or subs and can attack our assets at sea, although seaborne suicide bombers are a factor.

When I was in the service, we used to do ham radio based phone calls home from out in the ocean, and all we could say was we were underway and not say when we left port or when we would be returning.

I want to thank you all for your comments because it made me change my position.

The info posted in the US Navy's site is definitely too general in nature to cause any harm to our forces. What specifically triggered my post was the "port visit" locations and the USS Cole incident a few yrs back. Looks like I got paranoid with this one..... if someone wants to hit us they're not going to rely on a web site....

Again, thanks all. H.

Edited by hoss

I wasn't making any statements about the govt. This adminstration is very adamant that national security is their top priority. They play their hands very close to their vest. You all need to relax and be a little less defensive.

If you didn't list the ports of call how would any of the women the world over be able to find their Marine?

Besides....whenever there is a fight the navy gives us a ride. The 2 most dangerous ships in the world are carriers and amphibious assault ships loaded with Marines.