Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

CPR Compression Rate Change ?

20 posts in this topic

hello to all its been awhile. well i just wanted to know what is going on with this CPR compression rate chnage.... i was wondering if i am gonna have to get re-certified because when i took the CPR course the rate was 15-2 is it now 30-2 ????? please let me know about the re-cert....

Rich

" SmokeEater"

See you when the Whistle Blows.

Stay Safe

The CPR you know and love and were taught is just fine. When you take your next CPR class you will be taught the 30-2 and 100/minute rate. Don't get caught up in the numbers. If you need to do CPR, do it as you were taught. If you want to learn the new ways, I encourage you to take another class, but it's not a must. Just don't be alarmed/confused if someone starts doing it at 30-2 between now and then.

Just like WAS said, anyone currently certified 15:2 if fine. I just went through my EMT refresher up here in CT and the American Heart Association is phasing the new 30:2 ratio in with new certifications and refreshers. So if you refreshed last year under the 15:2 ratio your still certified until the next re-certification class.

Edited by IzzyEng4

I also believe if your Healthcare provider CPR cert is through Red Cross it is still 15:2. Not sure if they changed yet or if theyre going to. AHA is pushing for teh 30:2

well as far as i understood, NYS DOH wanted the new AHA protocol to be in use by June 06. Only thing is, the new protocol seems to contradict the current cardiac arrest protocol, at least for BLS providers.

well as far as i understood, NYS DOH wanted the new AHA protocol to be in use by June 06. Only thing is, the new protocol seems to contradict the current cardiac arrest protocol, at least for BLS providers.

Its also almost impossible to use a AED with the new compression ratio...the timeing will be all off, and the AED will likely get confused.

Has there been any date set when the AED's need to be updated by?

Ok, so I just got off the phone with a state official, and this is what he said:

1. The state HAS officially adopted the 2005 AHA CPR/AED protocol for all BLS/ALS providers.

2. All students testing out (written/practical) after August 1, 2006 will be tested according to the AHA 2005 and the new BLS Cardiac Arrest protocol.

3. New York State cardiac arrest protocol for the BLS provider should be up on the web within the next 2-3 weeks and sent out in the mail shortly there after. This new protocol reflects many of the changes in the 2005 AHA guidelines IE: shutting off the AED after delivering an initial shock.

4. According to the guy I talked to, he said that all agencies would be mandated to have their personnel rolled-out to the new AHA protocol beginning August 1st, never gave a time to when it was supposed to be completed by but said it was contingent on agency officials and your medical director.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Its also almost impossible to use a AED with the new compression ratio...the timeing will be all off, and the AED will likely get confused.

Has there been any date set when the AED's need to be updated by?

How does that change the use of an AED?? You shouldn't even be touching the patient when it is analyzing, charging and shocking. And besides, in all the times you've performed or seen CPR performed can you honestly tell me you're compression rates are accurate?? Between the adrenaline loading and unloading the pt, bouncing down the road to the hospital, and ridding thestretcher into the ER that rate is all over the place.

How does that change the use of an AED??  You shouldn't even be touching the patient when it is analyzing, charging and shocking.  And besides, in all the times you've performed or seen CPR performed can you honestly tell me you're compression rates are accurate??  Between the adrenaline loading and unloading the pt, bouncing down the road to the hospital, and ridding thestretcher into the ER that rate is all over the place.

I think he was more talking about the difference in AED utilization as stated in the NYS DOH protocol v. the new 2005 AHA protocol. Per NYS, right now we are essentially following the AED prompts and shocking up to nine times on scene, with a maximum of 3 stacked shocks at once. However, the AHA is now saying that 1 - 2 minutes of CPR prior to attachment of the AED is far healthier for patients and the administration of 1 shock rather than a 3 shock cycle shortens the delay in chest compressions and is thus more effective.

Edited by 66Alpha1

How does that change the use of an AED?? You shouldn't even be touching the patient when it is analyzing, charging and shocking.

Actually, according to the new guidelines you're TECHNICALLY supposed to lift for the analyze, compress during the charge, and lift only long enough to give the shock. Manual or Automated, you go right back into compressions the second after the shock is given and don't even look at the monitor to see if there is a change. AEDs get shut off after the one shock and turned back on 2 minutes later.

hello to all its been awhile. well i just wanted to know what is going on with this CPR compression rate chnage.... i was wondering if i am gonna have to get re-certified because when i took the CPR course the rate was 15-2 is it now 30-2 ????? please let me know about the re-cert....

Rich

" SmokeEater"

See you when the Whistle Blows.

Stay Safe

Please excuse duplicate notifications

To all who have are having questions regarding the status of the

approval of

the 2005 AHA Guidelines, the following announcement was recently placed

on

the NYSDOH website "Updates and Announcements" section

(http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/bemsupdates.htm

<http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/bemsupdates.htm>

) :

Bureau of EMS Updates and Announcements

2005 AHA Guidelines

The American Heart Association has published their new 2005 Guidelines

for

Emergency Cardiac Care. The AHA has implemented a timeline spanning

through

the fall of 2006 for the implementation of these new guidelines within

their

courses.

The New York State Emergency Medical Advisory Committee and Emergency

Medical Services Council has completed it's review and has approved the

new

AHA Guidelines for Healthcare Provider and Public Access

Defibrillation.

The Bureau of EMS is in the process of changing all levels of the NYS

Written Certification Examinations, Practical Skills Examinations,

Statewide

BLS Protocols and curricula. All certification courses that are

scheduled to

take the NYS Written Certification Exam after August 1, 2006 will be

tested

to the new AHA Guidelines. BEMS Course Sponsors will be receiving

additional

mailings over the next several weeks. Please refer to BEMS policy

statement

06-02 [

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/06-02.htm

<http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/06-02.htm> ] for

additional information.

Sincerely,

Edward G. Wronski

Director

Bureau of Emergency Medical Services

Please excuse duplicate notifications

To all who have are having questions regarding the status of the

approval of

the 2005 AHA Guidelines, the following announcement was recently placed

on

the NYSDOH website "Updates and Announcements" section

(http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/bemsupdates.htm

<http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/bemsupdates.htm

)  :

Bureau of EMS Updates and Announcements

2005 AHA Guidelines

The American Heart Association has published their new 2005 Guidelines

for

Emergency Cardiac Care. The AHA has implemented a timeline spanning

through

the fall of 2006 for the implementation of these new guidelines within

their

courses.

The New York State Emergency Medical Advisory Committee and Emergency

Medical Services Council has completed it's review and has approved the

new

AHA Guidelines for Healthcare Provider and Public Access

Defibrillation.

The Bureau of EMS is in the process of changing all levels of the NYS

Written Certification Examinations, Practical Skills Examinations,

Statewide

BLS Protocols and curricula. All certification courses that are

scheduled to

take the NYS Written Certification Exam after August 1, 2006 will be

tested

to the new AHA Guidelines. BEMS Course Sponsors will be receiving

additional

mailings over the next several weeks. Please refer to BEMS policy

statement

06-02 [

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/06-02.htm

<http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/policy/06-02.htm>  ]  for

additional information.

Sincerely,

Edward G. Wronski

Director

Bureau of Emergency Medical Services

Hi Guys

My first posting on here I'm from the UK,

We started on 1st April 2mins CPR 30:2 unless a defib was immediately available or a shockable rythmn was evident, in which case deliver 1 x 360 J dc shock (or biphasic 150) then CPR as above with epi every 4 minutes.

Its jolly well tiring (we run with a crew of 2 & occasionally get RRV (rapid response vehicle) to back up

regards Jim

When do I have to start using the new guidelines? Do I have to recertify my CPR when they bring out the new guidelines? Do I have to take something like a continuing education class to cover the new guidelines? Thanks.

When do I have to start using the new guidelines?  Do I have to recertify my CPR when they bring out the new guidelines?  Do I have to take something like a continuing education class to cover the new guidelines?  Thanks.

Use whatever you were last certified to use. The next time you recertify on CPR, you will most likely be taught the new protocol

All EMT classes that are taking the test in August are expected to know the new guidelines. Any EMT refresher is REQUIRED to take a CPR refresher so they will be taught the new guidelines then.

All EMT classes that are taking the test in August are expected to know the new guidelines. Any EMT refresher is REQUIRED to take a CPR refresher so they will be taught the new guidelines then.

Until I take a CPR or EMT refresher, I just use what I was taught last time around?

Thanks,

Jared

hey, just wanted to add my 2 cents as an EMT in NYS who recerted immediately after the new guidelines were put in place, to any EMT/medic that has used CPR in the field, when have you ever acutally sat there and counted compression:breath:shock ratios whether it be 15:2 or 30:2 ALS/BLS ? IMO its CPR w/ as many compressions at the right depth, shocks when advised, breaths in the right volume, and all the right drugs that you can give the patient before you get to the ED, people only count on TV shows and perfect CPR by the AHA's standpoint only exists in corporate offices... I could just be niave but I've saved 4/15 people that've been found dead by me in the field, which I'm told is a good ratio, whether it be luck or skill Im going to keep doing what works

When you have an advanced airway in place (ie....patient is intubated) you don't have to worry about ratios. Like you said, you just push while someone else blows. BUT, regardless of that, it is important to make sure you "push hard, push fast" and are ventilating properly. Huge emphasis is being put on good BLS. So next time you go on a code, be sure you have good depth and rate to your compressions and that when you ventilate it is over a full second and only at a rate of about 10-12 ventilation per minute. Too many people hyperventilate (and many don't realize it) and this is actually a BAD thing from a perfusion standpoint.

Also, minimize the length of time that compressions aren't being done (ideally under 10 seconds). People are gonna think we're nuts but when you put that AED on, work around the person doing compressions. When you analyze and when you shock are the only two times your hands should off that person's chest. Yes, that means when the defib is charging, someone should still be doing compressions. As a barrier to injury, I would suggest that the person doing the compressions be the same person that hits the button, that way there are no accidents. Sequence should be like this:

Compressions->second person puts pads on->as the AED analyzs the compressor takes thier hands off just long enough for the AED to make a decision->compression while charging->AED is ready->compressor verifies everyone else is clear->compressor lifts hands, hits the shock button->right back to CPR (NO PULSE CHECK AFTER).

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by WAS967

wow, you can't count your compressions...thats scary. 100 degree temps, and even myself and the hose monkey (much love FF's, don't get offended, thats a nickname for FF friend of mine) we were counting off durring 30 minutes of CPR. Wasn't hard, all though he did have to take of one of my boots so he could keep count. Proper depth, proper rate, and proper ratio are all important parts of effective CPR.