Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Doing The Right Thing

15 posts in this topic

Many of you that know me can all agree on one thing, I like to have fun. Sadly, and I don't know how the rest of you feel, but having fun is becoming harder and harder to do. And I, for one, love what I do and hope to someday share that fun with younger generations.

I've spent thousands of hours over the last 14 years or so reading books, magazines, articles and websites trying to further my knowledge so I can be a better firefighter, officer and trainer. But the one thing I don't see enough people writing about is how we, the people, are ruining the culture so many of us are proud to be a part of. We're the ones making it harder and harder to get things done, and it isn't because of the standards we have to meet. It's our ATTITUDES and the attitudes of our LEADERS that are burying us.

Here's an example. Lately on this website, more focus has been spent talking about parades. Sirens or no sirens. Lights or no lights. Frankly, I don't care either way. I think that we put too much stock in what the public thinks of us and not enough time and thought into doing things for our own good. What bothers me is this, the last time the training forums were touched was June 22nd (a bonus goes to whomever figures out this date’s significance). That’s over TWO WEEKS AGO! Where are our priorities people? Who cares if the Police get blue lights? Who cares if ABC Fire Department won 4 or no trophies at a parade?! Let’s look within at why the volunteer fire service is screwed.

Since it all starts at the top, let’s look at it in order.

Chief Officers. How many of you belong to an FD right now that has at least one Chief Officer that everyone doubts the leadership abilities of? If you say “not me,” you’re either very fortunate or already wearing that white helmet yourself. As a Chief Officer and it doesn’t have to be THE Chief, you are responsible for two major things; setting an example for your members and ensuring they get home safe. If you are driving along in your Chief’s car following your engine with guys in the hose bed you shouldn’t say, “This is a bad idea,” you should be stopping that rig and ending it right there. Better yet, you should have a set policy that states that this act is forbidden. Saying it isn’t OK for calls and drills is fine, but why do we look the other way for stupid things like parades? I know our FD has a no riding policy, but every year on our fire prevention day we give CHILDREN rides around the block. Can you say, “Huh?” If you, as a Chief Officer, can’t take the 30 seconds to don your PPE, how in the world do you expect your peers to do so? If you run around a fire scene screaming on the radio and changing your strategy every minute, how the heck do you think things will go right and everyone will go home safely? I hate to quote Vanilla Ice, but seriously – “Stop Collaborate and LISTEN!” Get the job done, and get it done safely. The safety of the troops is YOUR JOB on and off the playing field AND whether you are or aren’t there! Set policies, set an example and TRAIN THE TROOPS.

Line Officers. Although you are not responsible in most cases for running incidents and setting Department policies, you ARE required to get them home safe and to set the example! I spent six years as a Line Officer, starting at the age of 21. I don’t care what others may think, but this is too young and too inexperienced to do the job right! I busted my a** taking classes and getting certificates, but the experience wasn’t there yet. Now, with over 10 years in the Department, I know what mistakes I’ve made and I’ve promised myself not to make them again. When I took the oath (and yes people, it is an oath) of Captain, I swore to myself to do three things. First, increase our training. Second, be honest with everyone and lastly, get them home safe every time. Luckily, I achieved the first one, almost mastered the second one and came close to the third one. Nobody was permanently injured physically; however I think a couple may have been hurt emotionally. Accidents happen, sure. But preventing them should be just as easy. Take the time to do the little things. Wear your hood. Take time to rehab when you’re tired. Pick up the chamois and dry off the rig. Little things like these grab peoples’ attention and in most cases, will earn their respect. As a Line Officer you are like the quarterback, calling the plays and keeping the team together on the field, whereas a Chief is like the Coach. Remember guys and gals, being their friend is fine, but when game time comes they have to respect you, even if they get mad at you.

Firefighters. You may think at this level you have no responsibilities, but you are wrong. First and foremost, you are responsible for you. In addition to this, you are responsible for your crew. If you do one stupid thing it can hurt someone you work with. As a “grunt” you should always be attentive, hungry to learn and willing to try new things. I know from personal experience that Officers look to those that are willing to take that step, not those that dodge drills and suddenly disappear when you need them most. If you take on this life of a volunteer firefighter, you CAN NOT allow it to be just a hobby. Your safety, the safety of your crew and the future of your organization depend on you and the pride you must take in it. If you can’t give up 2-3 hours a week to make a firehouse drill, then maybe this isn’t for you. If you can make time to go to a parade on Thursday night from say, 5 until 10 – why not skip it and go to the ladder drill on Monday? Winning trophies has yet to save a firefighter’s life to my knowledge.

The bottom line is simple, we have to respect our past and those before us while at the same time adapting to our ever-changing environment. We have to keep doing it with a smile on our face, and not for the public, but for us. Smile because you are proud of your Company because they put out a car fire without getting hurt. Smile because your Chief made a stand and banned alcohol in the firehouse. And smile, because you know that by doing the right thing you all went home safe, and the fun can continue next time.

I'm sorry everyone, but I am tired of coming on here and seeing more time spent talking about parades, new rigs and blue light laws then trying to better ourselves and doing as much as we can to survive. We are our own worst enemy, because we don't accept the blame as often as we should. Chief sucks? Who voted them in? Officers lack knowledge, stop electing inexperienced people! Have fun, stay safe and do the right thing. We can't survive if we aren't willing to do the right thing FOR US, not the public.

Feel free to add your thoughts....

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Here here!!!

Now... when is the next parade?

Just kidding..... I like to see the training comments. And anything posted here that helps us stay safe is what everyone here should strive for.

Great post...I agree with almost everything you've said.

The only two points you made that did have me scratching my head, though, were these...

I think that we put too much stock in what the public thinks of us and not enough time and thought into doing things for our own good.

We can't survive if we aren't willing to do the right thing FOR US, not the public.

I'm really not sure in what context you mean we shouldn't care what the public thinks of us. That very same public not only funds us, but the entire point of our existence is to protect the public. I think we should care what they think of us. I, for one, don't want to be driving around town in filthy rigs and having Joe Public say "look how they treat the expensive equipment my tax dollars paid for". Nor do I want the public seeing us acting like a bunch of unorganized and unprofessional slobs on the fireground. Or worse yet, stumbling around drunk and pissing in some guy's front yard at a parade. I think how we present to the public is and should be very important, and we need to be cognizant of it. The truth is, if we don't do the right thing by the PUBLIC, we can't survive. Especially in the volunteer service, where we run the risk of being seen as inferior to a career department, and where politicians can use examples like these as a reason to sell the public on disbanding us altogether.

The second point I'm having trouble getting my head around is where you keep mentioning "having fun", yet most of the points in your post are serious ones. Talking about doing the right thing and training and leadership and respect. All great points, don't get me wrong, but generally not associated with "fun". I do understand how you mean once the organization is in order and running like a well lubed machine, everything else will fall into place, including the fun. However, I just find your post maybe a little contradictory when your opening and closing statements were basically 'let's have more fun', then you go on to complain about threads on this forum related to lights and sirens and parades and anything not having to do with training or doing the right thing.

Again, I agree with the body of your post. It's spot on as far as addressing most of the issues in the volunteer fire service, and if everyone read it and subscribed to it, we'd be a lot better off. I'm just having trouble making the connection between how all those serious points relate to having fun, or what those points have to do with the threads people make here. Honestly, who cares what threads people make or post in here? Not everyone shares the same point of view or has the same interest, obviously. To some people, asking a question about using lights or sirens in a parade is a legitimate question or issue. Try not to be dismissive of that while making your own points.

I guess I was getting a little tired while writing.

What I mean about the public's opinion is this. If we are only doing things to please the public, we are doing them for the wrong reasons. Everything we do should be to motivate us and to keep us safe. Obviously we shouldn't be a group of stumbling, drunken idiots in uniform. We should conduct ourselves in a professional manner everytime we are called upon.

To me, and I don't know how you may feel, doing the right thing and getting everything done as it is suppost to be is part of what makes this enjoyable. If I can't enjoy what I am doing then it can't be fun anymore. My points are serious and true, but I don't think we have to suck the fun we have out just to get it done.

Make any more sense? (It's 04:00 and I'm starting to fade again)...

Nicely done on that post. If we stay true to what we are supposed to be, the public's perception of us will be more than favorable enough. Last paragraph starts with I'm sorry, nothing to be sorry about in that post.

Gotcha, that's what I figured. Again, great post. :)

GREAT POST!! WELL SAID! I agree with you. As Chief you will see me at almost every wash detial, or work detial. I also have busted my a** to get our FAST up and running and when I signed up for the weekend class I got 12 more people to sign up for it as well. Can't expect people to something or give up the time if you don't. Very well said and anytime you have another FAST drill and we can come again I will be there with my troops.

speaking for myself, who got out of the game a while ago, I think the site can be many things. It can be the training tool everyone needs it to be, but sometimes all the "fluff" seems to overpower it and draw your eye. Not saying it's better, I think it's just human nature. The pictures, the parades, the rants, it tends to be a bigger topic sometimes. I whole heartedly agree that training is paramount. Even from the EMS side, drill nites were blown off by some, but luckily we never had a negligent situation. Everyone thinks it's cool to look at the new rigs, see the new toys, see your colleagues at the parade, but ultimately it's that training night (or two...) that pulls it all together. I spent last weekend with a long time friend of mine, who was from my crew back on Long Island years ago. We talk about the crew nights, what we learned, hell, even how it applies today. I've come up on scenes in vegas & cali where training nights helped, possibly saved people. Even though i dont "practice" anymore, it never goes away. Good training never gets old. the fun side always comes around though. Deep down everyone gets that rush when you hear the siren, or see those lights...It's what you do after that that counts.

Anyway, like i was saying - this site has so much to offer. you can follow the latest NFPA regs, or see what rig got a new siren. Something for everyone. besides, training isn't just EMTBravo.com ((No offense Seth!) It's drill nites, it's talking after runs and critiquing the play by play to see how you can make it better, it's spending some off-time with you crew to build up relatoinships that lat for years of trust. I've moved 3000 miles from my "service area", and one of my closest, dearest friends took the E class with me in 1988!

Sorry for the length, but I agree completely with your thoughts, but this site was built for lots of things. People just need to follow the training side as much as the "who got a new light"side.

To all, keep up the great work, in every field of operation you run in, and for god sake ALWAYs stay safe!!!! Thanks to everyone!!

Jimmy

Edited by nyemt131411

John-

Who pi$$ed in your Wheaties......!

Seriously, that was a hell of a post. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way" should replace the attitudes common to many fire/EMS (yes, I said EMS) organizations I know. Few take the time to make sure their mission comes first.

And I think that is WRONG in every sense.

Instead of telling everyone your a professional or writing it on your rigs invest the time to be one.

I am 21 years old and I am an engineer. I don't agree with saying 21 is to young, depends who you are. (I'm not full of myself) yes there is more for me to learn, alot more. but i know i can get my crew in get the job done and get out....together.yea certain occasions things may hapen but thats part of the job.

Now in my department we are having a large problem with the kids...yea i may be one but we just got a group of 5 kids from the age of 18-20 in the past year. thhey are having a hard time picking up the idea of respect for not only myself but all the line officers and old timers. Since i am around there age they don't want to listin to me. Now in my house we have been disscussing ways to appor this problem and we are debating between incentives and punishment.

With insentives they most likely would do alot more but they would be spoiled more then they are now, If punished, it could drive a couple kids away which are hard to find. anyone have this problem in there department?

June 22, 1997 we lost FF Michael Neuner # 585 Brewster FD

Remember585, I don't expect or want a bonus.

I just want you, family, friends, and fellow firefighters to know I

never forgot that date.

SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!!!

EVERYONE GOES HOME....

It's getting hot out... I hope ALL fire apparatus carry water and ice.

Not the water in the tank (haha) I mean drinking water.

Use your head....REHAB!!