Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fab190

Red and Black Helmet Shields

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why Ladder Company Sheids are red and Engine Company Sheids are Black?

Easy identification? Additionally, rescue is blue, marine is green and squad is yellow.

Edited by TRUCK6018

Is there a specific reason for this? Or has it just continued from the old days and become "tradition"?

One old wives' tale I was told was that originally that trucks and engine / hose comapny were assigned that color for waht they did to a fire.

Ladders / Trucks were red since they went to the roof or walls and opened up to show the "red" of fire.

Engines and Hose Companies darkened or "blackened" the fire down.

White, silver and gold was always the color of leadership.

This does make sense but I don't know how true it was. The other colors were added later. Rescue and medics wore blue since blue was a color associated with the medical field. Yellow for squads, green or EMS or Marine units were a FDNY assignment in later years.

This what I was told. We should see if there is any history or lore about the helmet fronts.

Edited by IzzyEng4

Probie Firefighter is Orange.

Because "Colors" aren't complicated and they work.......

Stay Safe

What is the reason or history behind the shield colors. Why black for engines? Red for trucks, etc...

What is the reason or history behind the shield colors.  Why black for engines? Red for trucks, etc...

What is the reason or history behind the shield colors.  Why black for engines? Red for trucks, etc...

Thanks!