Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

Injured Monroe NY firefighter taken by medivac

15 posts in this topic

Times Herald Record

July 11, 2006

Injured Monroe firefighter taken by medivac

A Lakeside Fire Company firefighter was taken by medivac helicopter about 30 minutes ago to a Westchester hospital after he was injured at the Trout Brook Engine and Hose Company in the Chester Fire District.

Details as to what happened were unclear, but one assistant fire chief reported that a vehicle backed into the unidentified firefighter, who has been with the department for more than 25 years. The firefighter, who was said to have suffered a leg injury, was taken to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.

He was treated at the scene by Mobile Life and Chester volunteer ambulances.

Monroe firefighters were on stand-by at the Chester firehouse as Chester firefighters were responding to a fire call on Route 17M near a sports complex that is under construction.

Times Herald Record

July 11, 2006

Injured Monroe firefighter taken by medivac

A Lakeside Fire Company firefighter was taken by medivac helicopter about 30 minutes ago to a Westchester hospital after he was injured at the Trout Brook Engine and Hose Company in the Chester Fire District.

Details as to what happened were unclear, but one assistant fire chief reported that a vehicle backed into the unidentified firefighter, who has been with the department for more than 25 years. The firefighter, who was said to have suffered a leg injury, was taken to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla.

He was treated at the scene by Mobile Life and Chester volunteer ambulances.

Monroe firefighters were on stand-by at the Chester firehouse as Chester firefighters were responding to a fire call on Route 17M near a sports complex that is under construction.

From what i heard it was a Lakeside Chief who was pinned against the fire house when one of his members was backing into a parking spot and his boot got stuck on the gas. From what i hear no broken bones, ripped some muscle up, and punctured his femoral atery, reported to be in stable cond. @ Westchester Med. Center.

This incident happened at my firehouse. I got there about 10 minutes after it happened. 1st Assistant Chief Daniel Murray of the Monroe-Lakeside Fire & Rescue Company was on a mutual aid standby at the Trout Brook Engine & Hose Company #3 (Chester Station 3) while Chester was out a structure fire. Several Lakeside members came to the standby by way of their POVs.

Chief Murray was standing outside of the firehouse by a metal post (the ones that prevent you from hitting the building). The other member backed up to leave and for some reason thought he has shifted his car into "drive", but he was still in reverse. When he hit the gas he went flying in reverse striking Chief Murray and pinning him against the metal post.

Chief Murray's leg was crushed between the post and the rear bumper of the car. Although I did not get to see his exact injuries I was told that his leg was nearly amputated and he was bleeding from his femoral artery.

Fortunately for Chief Murray, several EMTs from his department along with the President of Chester Station 3 and the President of Chester EMS were all on scene within seconds. Chester EMS and Mobile Life Support Services were on location withing a few minutes. Stat Flight was called to the scene and Chief Murray was transported to Westchester Medical Center. At this time his current condition is unknown.

My department works hand in hand with Lakeside on a regular basis. They are a bunch of good guys. Chief Murray has been a member for about 20 years. He is a NYS EMT and he has served several times thru all of the line officer ranks.

Please pray for a speedy and full recovery for Chief Murray. He is a self employed family man. With not being able to work, I am sure his family will endure some financial and emotional hardships. Thank you.

This incident happened at my firehouse. I got there about 10 minutes after it happened. 1st Assistant Chief Daniel Murray of the Monroe-Lakeside Fire & Rescue Company was on a mutual aid standby at the Trout Brook Engine & Hose Company #3 (Chester Station 3) while Chester was out a structure fire. Several Lakeside members came to the standby by way of their POVs.

Chief Murray was standing outside of the firehouse by a metal post (the ones that prevent you from hitting the building). The other member backed up to leave and for some reason thought he has shifted his car into "drive", but he was still in reverse. When he hit the gas he went flying in reverse striking Chief Murray and pinning him against the metal post.

Chief Murray's leg was crushed between the post and the rear bumper of the car. Although I did not get to see his exact injuries I was told that his leg was nearly amputated and he was bleeding from his femoral artery.

Fortunately for Chief Murray, several EMTs from his department along with the President of Chester Station 3 and the President of Chester EMS were all on scene within seconds. Chester EMS and Mobile Life Support Services were on location withing a few minutes. Stat Flight was called to the scene and Chief Murray was transported to Westchester Medical Center. At this time his current condition is unknown.

My department works hand in hand with Lakeside on a regular basis. They are a bunch of good guys. Chief Murray has been a member for about 20 years. He is a NYS EMT and he has served several times thru all of the line officer ranks.

Please pray for a speedy and full recovery for Chief Murray. He is a self employed family man. With not being able to work, I am sure his family will endure some financial and emotional hardships. Thank you.

This is why I don't volunteer anymore :rolleyes: .... NYS workers comp pays crap compared to a on the job injury of this nature.. Hope for a speedy recovery!

This is why I don't volunteer anymore  :rolleyes: .... NYS workers comp pays crap compared to a on the job injury of this nature..  Hope for a speedy recovery!

Workers comp doesn't apply in this situation. Volunteer fire fighters are covered under VFBL (volunteer firefighters benevolent law). This is similar to workers comp as both pay out $400.00 a week. The difference is VFBL pays out immediatly after an injury. Workers comp doesn't pay out untiltwo weeks after the date of injury.

As a Lakeside member i would like to thank Chester FD, Chester EMS Stat Flight Mobile Life yet again for helping us out ( as well as all other fire companies who have called us and offered assistance

As a Lakeside member i would like to thank Chester FD, Chester EMS Stat Flight Mobile Life yet again for helping us out ( as well as all other fire companies who have called us and offered assistance

How is your guy doing? Hope he's gonna be ok.

speedy recovery to the chief and lets leave it at that guys. let's be glad he'll recover.

Workers comp doesn't apply in this situation.  Volunteer fire fighters are covered under VFBL (volunteer firefighters benevolent law).  This is similar to workers comp as both pay out $400.00 a week.  The difference is VFBL pays out immediatly after an injury.  Workers comp doesn't pay out untiltwo weeks after the date of injury.

o ok..Still it isn't as much of a pay if it was a on the job injury. So is it really worth it to volunteer these days? All the mandatory training and dept requirments now a days??? It is no wonder the volunteer system is collapsing quickly. I have a morgage,car payments and all other life bills. I go and tell my son or daughter I will be right back, I am going to a MVA witth the vols... I get hit by a drunk driver at the scene. :o I will get this awsome $400.00 a mo or be dead or disabled for life. All for a job for free??? Makes me think what if Ben franklin made up volunteer plumbers, instead of firefighters what would happen. All we know now is what history has been laid out for us. :unsure:

If you get injured in a paid career, whether is a firefighter or supermarket bagger, you get a percentage or your wages up to $400. You only get more if you have disability insurance through your employer/union or the employer/union makes up the difference.

Yes and I have that thank god... Good luck to all ! Stay safe

If you get injured in a paid career, whether is a firefighter or supermarket bagger,  you get a percentage or your wages up to $400.  You only get more if you have disability insurance through your employer/union or the employer/union makes up the difference.

If you're a career firefighter, police officer, corrections officer, etc. and you're injured in the line of duty you get full pay - not $400. If you're eligible for 207-c status you'll get full pay and taxes won't be withheld. That's ALOT different than 400 bucks when your mortgage comes due!

I'm anything but an expert on disability. From what I understand if your career is ended through a debilitating injury or illness as a result of the job you performed, you are elligible for 3/4 pension in which you make 3/4 of your salary. If you go out on LODI, you have the option to use accrued comp or sick time, but after that you enter into Morkers Compensation. Once you go to workers comp, tehre is no distinction between job titles. Everyone is elligble for the same benefits. So assuming this is true, where does 207-c status come from?

I'm anything but an expert on disability. From what I understand if your career is ended through a debilitating injury or illness as a result of the job you performed, you are elligible for 3/4 pension in which you make 3/4 of your salary. If you go out on LODI, you have the option to use accrued comp or sick time, but after that you enter into Morkers Compensation. Once you go to workers comp, tehre is no distinction between job titles. Everyone is elligble for the same benefits. So assuming this is true, where does 207-c status come from?