Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Basics Begin, But Shouldn't End, With FF I

15 posts in this topic

Basics begin, but shouldn't end, with Firefighter I

Richard L. Jaehne

Today the fire service faces a deadly paradox. Fighting fires is a very small part of the firefighter's workload - so small, in fact, that actual fires are too infrequent to maintain firefighting skills - yet firefighting skills are the basis that all other operations are built on.

A sad sidenote is that it's during firefighting that firefighters are being injured and killed.

Given this situation, how do firefighters and officers build and maintain basic firefighting skills? The solution begins in each firehouse, because firefighting is a team activity. It begins when the career company officer sets the tone for the day - anticipating that the alarm for the big one is just about to ring - with roll call, checking personnel and gear, job assignments, focused training and team building. It also begins when the volunteer officer brings these same tasks into training sessions and scheduled meetings. A key component is realistic essential skills training.

In 1998, the University of Illinois Fire Service Institute surveyed fire departments across Illinois to identify specific training needs. The respondents identified a need to focus training on the core skills at each level: firefighter, engineer, line officer, operational chief and department chief. Most requested hands-on live scenario training that addressed the following priorities:

1) Firefighter basics,

2) Firefighter rescue/rapid intervention teams,

3) Water supply and pumping,

4) scba,

5) Hands-on line officer training,

6) Rescue,

7) Hazmat, and

8) Automobile extrication.

In the summer of 1998, the Illinois State Fire Marshal sponsored a Claims Reimbursement Task Force composed of representatives of all the major fire service organizations in Illinois. That task force allocated $200,000 for two-day "core competency" courses and one-day burns. In just three months, 10% of the state's fire departments have sent more than 700 firefighters to this training.

For the course, a core set of skills was selected from Firefighter I and II standards:

* Hoses (loads, advances and handling),

* Breathing apparatus (donning and working in),

* Ladders (carrying, raising and climbing),

* Tools (using and caring for),

* Fire behavior,

* Water supply and pumping,

* Basic building construction, and

* Basic tactics (vent and enter).

After a series of hands-on training scenarios, these skills are applied to a live-fire training evolution in a house or training tower.

The courses are offered locally to groups of 25 or more firefighters on weekends. The class-size requirement has had the added advantage of putting mutual aid agreements into practice as departments have worked together to achieve enough enrollment. In many cases, the career departments in an area or the regional association has sponsored the event, breaking down barriers between career and volunteer departments. Our experience shows that these two simple training events are bringing hands-on training to even the smallest volunteer departments.

"Basics" shouldn't end with new recruits. At uifsi, we've found the need to return to core skills in all of our hands-on courses.

For example, "Saving Our Own" analyzes firefighting events where firefighters have lost their lives, providing more than a dozen specific drills using basic tools and techniques to overcome potentially fatal scenarios. To date, we know this class has helped save at least seven firefighter lives in six separate incidents.

"First-in Officer"examines the basics of emergency decision-making. You are the first officer in charge of the lead engine responding to a fire. The fire is potentially "the big one," and the tactical decisions you make will directly affect the ability of every firefighter who may eventually respond to save every life possible, gain control and reduce property loss.

What must you decide? What facts are critical? Important? Irrelevant? What is size-up, and how will you use it to initiate your attack and call for additional support? ics, sops, pre-fire surveys, and the strengths and weaknesses of each of your firefighters are all basics you must know instantly.

"Engine and Truck Company Operations" is a reminder that complex tasks begin with individual firefighters performing basic firefighting skills. First engine secures water, lays hose and commences the hose attack. First truck/ladder ventilates, secures forcible entry and conducts primary search/rescue.

In what order are these tasks performed? With a two- or three-person crew? How do you maximize the capabilities of your people and apparatus for this particular fire? Where's incident command located, and how do you pass command as the response grows with extra alarms? Teams are assigned to accomplish specific critical tasks, but individuals and basic skills still serve as the foundation.

"Where the Battle Begins" reinforces the core values of the fire service. Using an interactive seminar approach involving hundreds of firefighters, we've found that firefighters share common goals of integrity, courage, dedication and compassion. Many have also developed the attitude of doing whatever it takes, whenever it's needed. The ability to reinforce these values in training, operations and daily routines should be among every senior officer's basic skills.

Where else can we apply the "back to basics" rule? Anywhere firefighters must translate theory into practice on the fireground, in the firehouse and beyond. Observe your firefighters, companies and departments in action and training. Do they fail to perform fundamentals correctly? Is a lack of skills reducing firefighter safety and impeding their ability to combat fires and save lives and property? If so, then perhaps it's time for you to roll out your own "back to basics" program.

I really found this to be a good article. Some EXCELLENT points made.

What does your department do? Daily training? Weekly training? Monthly training?

What can we do to improve the training and education of our Firefighters?

TRAINING IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS:

-CPR w/AED

-First Aid

-NYS CFR

-NYS EMT

-Bloodborne Pathogens

-OSHA

-Water Rescue

-Ice Water Rescue

-SCUBA classes

-Marine/Fire Boat Op's

-USCG Boating Safety Class

-Aircraft Rescue

-Rope Rescue

-Haz Mat

-FF Fitness

-RIT/FAST

-FF Survival

-Use Of SCBA

-Brush Fires

-Car Fires

-Electrical Fires

-Kitchen Fires

-High-Rise Fires

-Comm. Bldg. Fires

-Tax Payer Fires

-MVA/Auto Extrication

-Engine Op's

-Ladder Op's

-Ventilation Techniques

-Scene Safety

-Fire Station Safety

-Size Up

-Fire Extinguishers

-Hydrant Op's

-Two-Way Radio Class

-Hose (advancement)

-Hand Tools

-Safety Inspections

TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING! :D

Comments & Suggestions ???

There isn't an instructor that I know of that doesn't stress exactly what is talked about in that article.

Firefighter 1 is the foundation of every firefighters fire service career. Any course taken that has a pre-requisite can be generally considered advanced and builds on that learned from the beginning and revolves around those basic skills learned. More importantly they have to skills that are honed and practiced.

Whether your department delivers good or bad training, it is still up to you to keep your skills where they need to be. There are no excuses when you are responsible for yourself. There are courses out there, trade journals and books to read to give you more information, more skill. Your department doesn't train well or the training is subpar....practice yourself, with your friends and with someone you trust.

RWC good ideas, I would just have a much shorter list. Also bloodborne pathogens falls under OSHA requirement. Also I'm not sure what you meant by "OSHA" but OSHA requires several topics that must be covered every year by firefighters. As far as the water, SCUBA, and RIT stuff, that is add on training by those whom specialize in it. That is extra stuff that they are dedicated to and the extra hours to train need to be found on top of the basics.

My ideas:

SCBA

SCBA

SCBA

SCBA

Survival Techniques/Calling a Mayday

FIRE BEHAVIOR AND BUILDING CONSTRUCTION

After that go through every chapter of either the IFSTA or Bartlett and Jones and pick a basic firefighter function and get better at it.

Why the emphasis on SCBA...because other then your brain its the most important piece of equipment you use. Also as an instructor the amount of firefighters that come to courses without the basic knowledge of the operation and functions of the SCBA are shocking.

When is too much too much?

Firefighter I is the basic calss to train members in the efforts of firefighting. Bloodborne, HazMat Awareness and Operational should be included or are since that is what we do the most of. As for additional train such as AED, CPR ect, that should be done on the department level.

You can expect a new recruit or someong to tak all these calsses at once and expect to remember them, on the volunteer sense, career you have to to morre I know. But the focus should be more on continuing education.

Maybe I'm missing the point though.

When is too much too much?

You can expect a new recruit or someong to tak all these calsses at once and expect to remember them, on the volunteer sense, career you have to to morre I know.  But the focus should be more on continuing education.

Maybe I'm missing the point though.

I think you might be missing the point. As I try to work my way through the many misspelled words and gramatical errors in your post, I think you are under the impression that the classes listed should all be taken over a short period of time. Instead I think what they are getting at is that FF1 is not the end of ones training, it is actually the begining. Instead they list many training ideas that should be pursued over ones first few years as a FF and continued on through the rest of a career. And as for needing to know more as a carreer guy vs. a vol., that attitude just re-emphasizes the fact that we are not all on a level playing field. I thought from reading others posts, that vollies and paid guys were all the same??? Of course if that's not what you meant I appologize, it's tough to figure out what you were getting at when the sentence said "You can expect a new recruit or someong to tak all these calsses at once and expect to remember them, on the volunteer sense, career you have to to morre I know."???...??? maybe its me...

Not saying a probie, volunteer or career needs to take ALL the classes I posted.

Just saying... No department should scratch there head thinking what are we gonna have training on? So many classes available.

Training should never end!!!

Learn something new everyday. :)

great subject--and spelling dosent count- firefighter should be always looking and studying. continueing their eduacation. firefighter one is just the start. You all know the courses--we dont have to list them. get certified in as many as you can.

Fire department drills should be a refresher to all classes not the exception. in other words go to classes do not depend on local drill as a suplament to certified education.

keep abreast of current trends-- knnow whats out there-- know what can hurt you--or worse kill you. This is a dangerous profession we have chosen to be in(career or vol)do your best to stay alive.

HEY-dont ride the tail boardsd either!!!

How much is enough? I believe the Firefighter 1 curriculum should be longer and include CPR w/ First Aid and AED. That is a requirement to be nationally certified and I also believe that the national certification process should be done similiar to the way EMS courses are tested, with scan tron forms that are sent to OFPC. This is how many other states conduct it.

When I took Firefighter 1 in Virginia it was 135 hours long. This included CPR and only 8 hours of hazmat which for them was HazMat awareness which was an excellent course with just enough info to protect yourself and others, exactly as it is described in NFPA 472.

I do think you missed the point of RWC's post. He quoted a well written article and then gave some topics for drills that can be done and also classes that a department can also get in house, some for minimal cost.

And I should have payed attention in High School typing class too!! LOL had to pick on my self!

Training does not have to stop, everyones right. And especially if you cant always find time to make formal classes, find down time to know your equipment, drill with your crewmembers, even brush up on current articles in one of the many publications available. At the least it will keep you fresh with your surroundings as well as whats new in the field, to help the time lapse between formal classes.

I agree training is an on going process. building constrcuation changes, car fire operations change with new car technologies coming out. Also basics must not be forgotten. Dont forget where you came from. Training and experience are a good combination. Also, just because you have fire fighter one doesnt mean it stops there. I have met numerous probies that are all about ff1 and then running into a building. YEs they are young and egar to learn and its up to us seasoned guys to guide them the right way. Traing should be onward and upward, at a ongoing basis

I think where it makes it hard for the Vollie is juggling career, family, and the vollie organaztion. When you start working 10 hour days, the kids after school and summer activites, and the wife in the other ear about household choirs, where does one find time to train, does one actually have time to take a class that is two or three hours a day two or three times a week for two to three weeks. How does one make time to fit it all in how does one if they can, priotize which training one should take when you have a list as long as my arm. This is not an excuse this is reaility that many volenteers face and i am sure some of our career brothers and sisters face also. unfotrunatly this is hurting the vollie services and also have cut down on recuritment. I wish i had an answer to this probelm but i dont. Please dont get me wrong i to feel that training is very important. but these are the porblems we all face.

No one and I mean no one can let training come in second. If you are not trained properly---bad things can happen-- lack of judgment, lack of vision-lack of knowledge. We have always stated that YOUR life is the most important thing on any emergency scene, dont put it in jeporady-because of a lack of training.

Work hard---train right or dont go!!

FIRECAPT32.... AMEN BROTHER!

Excellent article with many well-presented points on continuing training/education. I especially liked the core components, such as handling equipment, ladders, and SCBA. Obviously, some departments will need other training depending on their location--near water (S&R), urban, rural, high-density or high-value properties.

As for:

I think where it makes it hard for the Vollie is juggling career, family, and the vollie organaztion. When you start working 10 hour days, the kids after school and summer activites, and the wife in the other ear about household choirs, where does one find time to train, does one actually have time to take a class that is two or three hours a day two or three times a week for two to three weeks. How does one make time to fit it all in how does one if they can, priotize which training one should take when you have a list as long as my arm. This is not an excuse this is reaility that many volenteers face and i am sure some of our career brothers and sisters face also. unfotrunatly this is hurting the vollie services and also have cut down on recuritment. I wish i had an answer to this probelm but i dont.  Please dont get me wrong i to feel that training is very important. but these are the porblems we all face.

I only have opinions based on my experience. If firefighting is truly your heart and soul, and it is possible, do what you can to become a career FF. No, that obviously doesn't work for everyone--and many, many vollies are in it with their heart and soul and struggle with all of the issues calhobs mentions. The vollie depts. I am familiar with don't require FF to participate in every training class, but to be prepared to devote time to a minimum number. And everyone is going to forget things and need either a refresher or be comfortable enough to ask someone more experienced for help. As for spouses and families, you need understanding, communication, the ability to endure exhaustion, and the hope that your spouse is willing to endure long absences, middle of the night pages, activity-interrupting pages without feeling ignored or taken for granted. I've seen one spouse's participation in vollie activities nearly lead to the break-up of their marriage--they are still married and he is no longer involved with his local dept. (looooong story) That was his/their choice; others will find different solutions.

Now, as for riding on the tailboard.... :)

Here's some food for thought--- we live in communities-- well most of us any way-- we have police departments- we dont give them a badge and a gun and say go protect us?? do we?? But in our service we elect a member-- give them a physical(mabey) and say dont worry you will get your training soon--or someday. The next day he/she might be riding the fire apparatus to a house fire. Seems antiquaited at best dosent it? When will we get out act togeather?? soon I hope.

just my thoughts