Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mustang22_2002

Differences Between NY and CT EMT

16 posts in this topic

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THE DIFFERNECE IS BETWEEN A N.Y. EMT AND A CONN. EMT IF THERE IS ANY ?

CT is national registry...NY is not.

CT's test is National Registry but you do not have to renew it after two years. CT still isues two cards.

Connecticut also has 5 separate regions:

Southwest: Lower fairfield county

Northwest: Litchfield County, Fairfield county towns of Danbury, Bethel, Sherman, New Fairfield, Newtown, New Haven County towns of Waterbury, Middlebury, Southbury, Cheshire, Wolcott, Prospect, Naugatuck and Beaconf Falls

South Central: Lower New Haven County and Shelton (Fairfield County town)

North Central: Hartford County, parts of Tolland and northern Middelsex county towns

Eastern: Windahm county, New London County,, Middlesex and parts of Toland county not covered by NorthCentral.

Also each region has a specific set of protocols, many are similar, few are different.

EMTs in CT can only administer oxygen with out medical control and a Epi pen, nitro, inhaler or oral glucose after clearing with medical control. This also varies between regions.

There are going to be a lot of changes in CT since OEMS is looking to get rid of the EMT-I progam in the state or if they keep it, there will be a major ovehaul of the certifications and standing orders. EMTs here will be able to perform a lot more soon. The only place where EMT-I are no longer regognized in CT is the South Central region where Yale and St. Rapheal's sponsor hospital towns.

A lot has change though since I worked at C-Med New Haven.

IzzyEng4 is correct with CT's regional approach. Original EMT's are given a state developed EMT test and could be granted reciprocity by NYS. However, each region has the ability to develop their own re-certifying tests and NYS does not necessarily accept certain regions for reciprocity. If you happen to recert in a region that either uses a CT developed test or an acceptable program, (and for example Southwest CT is NOT accepted), then NYS may grant reciprocity for the re-cert as well. As far as going from NY to CT, I am unaware of any NY State EMT being denied reciprocity by CT. However, at the paramedic level, I am aware of several individuals being initially denied their paramedic by CT (they were initially downgraded to EMT status) until they were able to prove regionally proficiency with various protocols.

Just the pay scale...

What I mean by that is that no matter where you work you do the same job.

Go get sick people and bring them to the hospital... then write a little story about it and return to your respective couches.

As far as going from NY to CT, I am unaware of any NY State EMT being denied reciprocity by CT. 

Do you know how I could go about obtaining the forms to go from NY to CT? I have searched the CT websites high and low and I cant find any info on it.

I would like to apply for some firefighter exams in CT, but most require a CT EMT cert. I just received my NY EMT cert (like 2 weeks ago). I cant see myself sitting through another class just to get a cert in a different state. So if NY to CT reciprocity is possible, that would be huge. However, each person I speak to about it gives me a different answer on whether it can be done or not?!?!?

What I mean by that is that no matter where you work you do the same job. 

Go get sick people and bring them to the hospital... then write a little story about it and return to your respective couches.

OK wasn't following you.

CT does not reconize the EMT from NY - I have had two people try from my fire department, and they have actually made them sit in class if they want the CT EMT.

You can call the EMS coordinator listed on the State of CT website http://www.ct.gov

Hope this helps.

Erik

you can be a 16 yr old EMT in CT, NY you have to be 18

cl117

Your best bet is to go to the top call OEMS at:

Office of Emergency Medical Services

Address: 410 Capital Avenue MS # 12 EMS, PO Box 340308, Hartford, CT 06134-0308

Telephone: 860/509-7975

Fax: 860/509-7987

Other than that - if you really want the job, you'll sit through the class. I know plenty of guys who've sat through FFI more than once as they've moved from department to department. It'll be boring but deal with it.

Another option would be to sit for a National Registry test somewhere for the EMT-B. Then you could apply for reciprocity witht eh NREMT cert.

you can be a 16 yr old EMT in CT, NY you have to be 18

Same in New Jersey where i'm from but....ur stil not defib certified so u need another crew member emt over the age of 18 to make a full crew that was @ the time I recieved my cert not sure if things have changed since 1997

Getting reciprocity from NY EMT to CT EMT is possible and easy to do.... I got it when I got hired on Danbury FD. You can get everything you need from the CT. Dept. of Health website.

Go to http://www.dph.state.ct.us/

then click on licensure/renewal, then click EMT Certification, then click on Initial, then click on the Adobe PDF file for the EMT Cert. forms. All you have to do is fill out form #202 & form # 203 and fax it to the number at the bottom of the form. You will recieve a letter w/ your CT. EMT # in a few weeks and your EMT cards a few weeks after that. They will issue you a 2 year CT certification. If you have any questions you can call EMS Certification at 860-509-7558. Also call this number after you fax it to verify they got it ok. Good luck.