Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
goon16

Squad Companies

3 posts in this topic

Whats the true definiation of a squad compay ??? and whats your opinion of squad companies? i know they do both truck and engine work along with hazmat and extrication I just want to know the finer points

This is a regional term.. By me a squad is a rescue pumper, other people its a rescue, an ambulance, a brush, or a pick up truck... And more..

Definition of A Squad Company (As per NFPA Guidelines)

A Squad is a vehicle(s) consisting of at least an Engine with or without other support vehicles (ie: Rescue, Ladder, or Utility Type), equipped with additional and specific equipment to handle hazardous materials / WMD (Weapons of Mass Destruction) and/or technical rescue, that will respond with a minimum of six (6) trained and certified members, included a company officer. For haz-mat and WMD the minimum training level shall be Haz-Mat Technician (as identified under OSHA 1910.120) and the squad shall have the equipment necessary to perform air monitoring, level “A” suit and decontamination. For technical rescue the minimum training level shall be based on NFPA 1670. All members shall be at the technician level for structural collapse, trench rescue and confined space rescue and at the operations level for rope rescue. The squad shall have the equipment necessary to initiate a response, safely size up and identify additional resources required to safely mitigate these incidents.