Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Plain Language instead of 10-Codes

24 posts in this topic

I keep on reading about how NIMS requires plain language instead of 10-codes, so I am wondering if (or when) the county will mandate that only plain language be used on their frequencies.

Thanks,

Jared

They tried it, and then rescinded the order. Now I believe the plan states that at any multi-jurisdiction incident plain english is to be used.

A lot of depts are taking it upon themselves to use plain language (PL). I myself prefer to use PL, some guys in my dept still use 10 codes. Another thing I see, or hear rather is for example: Engine One Hundred Twent Three responding Vs. Engine One Two Three responding. 123 only used as an example.

Edited by JustSomeGuy

Our FD has pretty much always been clear-text, but made it official in 1998 or so. I love it, it's one less thing for us to screw up and one less thing to teach people.

the Putnam 911 center uses the NIMS/ICS plain language requirements and its alot more efficent then learning 10 codes for EMS, Fire and Police. Plus, i think any agency/dispatch center that uses plain language as per NIMS/ICS is eligable for federal grants.

The only 10-codes Orange County uses is 10-4, as far as fire goes. Middletown and Town of Wallkill police both use 10-codes, but apparently have two different sets. 10-something for one of them doesn't mean the same as what 10-something means to the other. Luckily, neither are on the same frequency. That could be a headache.

I've been here 6 years and there has been no order to use plain english.

If you are going to use plain english, use the correct terms. Get a copy of the current 10 codes and read the plain english meanings. Always remember to use your whole unit number. Eg: E123, 2271, and for gods sake........ TOWER LADDER 8.

Half of our guy's use plain english and the other half use 10-codes. I'd like to have everyone in my department use plain english. But then again I'd like our department to do alot of things... But I'm just the "baby" or so I'm told.

there is no need to use plain english on the radio and my reason is simple it sounds extremely unprofessional is not necessary. Why has there been a need for a debate about using plain english vs 10 codes. I prefer that depts use the 10 codes because is sounds professional and there is no need to make radio transmissions sound understandable. You can't suspend someone for using a 10 code.

there is no need to use plain english on the radio and my reason is simple it sounds extremely unprofessional is not necessary.  Why has there been a need for a debate about using plain english vs 10 codes.  I prefer that depts use the 10 codes because is sounds professional  and there is no need to make radio transmissions sound understandable.  You can't suspend someone for using a 10 code.

so then i guess you advocate memorizing FD, EMS and Police 10 codes then translating each branch's 10 codes into yours when your trying to relay a message. this plain language is about ease of communication and keeping confusion to a minimum, it will save lives at major incidents plain and simple.

Edited by 66Alpha1

Tower Ladder 8?

What do you mean?

do they say 8 truck?

I prefer the "# truck" not Tower Ladder#, or TL #

Tower Ladder 8?

What do you mean?

do they say 8 truck?

I prefer the "# truck" not Tower Ladder#, or TL #

They probably say "Tee El Eight"...

However you want your identifiers to be transmitted, it needs to be written in a SOG

For example, Stamford uses "Truck" instead of "Ladder" (Truck One, Truck Forty-Five, Truck Sixty-Seven...) and there is generally no deviation from this.

Westchester has clearly defined classifications on the DES website, and that's probably how 60-Control wants you to go over...

I think Plain English is, as 636 would say, "Very Good"

Edited by 242steve

I keep on reading about how NIMS requires plain language instead of 10-codes, so I am wondering if (or when) the county will mandate that only plain language be used on their  frequencies.

Thanks,

Jared

NIMS was supposed to require the use of plain English for ALL operations but there was such an outcry against it that they backed off and have taken the position that plain English or clear text will be used on any interagency or mutual aid response. That makes sense since if we stick to different radio codes, we'll never understand each other.

My favorite (and I'm sure one of 636's as well) is when apparatus calls "in service" for a call. The typical response is "10-4. Are you responding as well?" :D

there is no need to use plain english on the radio and my reason is simple it sounds extremely unprofessional is not necessary.  Why has there been a need for a debate about using plain english vs 10 codes.  I prefer that depts use the 10 codes because is sounds professional  and there is no need to make radio transmissions sound understandable.  You can't suspend someone for using a 10 code.

I don't think plain english is unprofessional at all. You can sound very unprofessional using 10-codes. It's all about the way you speak and pronouce your words. Just think about what your going to say before you key the mic. You said "There is no need to make radio transmissions sound understandable" What? :huh: Is it just me?

Was967 is correct! That is my question after the old " Exxx is in Service " My second is when someone requests a BUS!!! I follow up by asking "How many passenger BUS would you like?" God bless plain language that is anything but PLAIN!!!!!

I don't think plain english is unprofessional at all. You can sound very unprofessional using 10-codes. It's all about the way you speak and pronouce your words. Just think about what your going to say before you key the mic. You said "There is no need to make radio transmissions sound understandable" What?  Is it just me?

I am a proponent of 10-codes, however I couldn't agree with you more. I have heard people who are rather intelligent totally mangle transmissions because they aren't thinking, or they don't know the 10-codes.

Was967 is correct! That is my question after the old " Exxx is in Service "  My second is when someone requests a BUS!!! I follow up by asking "How many passenger BUS would you like?" God bless plain language that is anything but PLAIN!!!!!

Well asking for a bus wouldn't be correct I agree.But if they request ems to the scene,I guess that's pretty plain. And maybe give a reason why you need ems would also help,so you could pass it along to the responding ems crew. I guess right know since there is no radio standard on which to use,plan english or 10-codes,it pretty much comes down to knowing correct radio procedures. Think before you speak...Both in life and on the mic :D

We have our own repeater system and our own frequency, this is great, but unfortunately with no regualtion such as 60 control, PL and 10 codes are used together or not at all.

I agree with the previous posts, you have to think before what you say on the radio. The use of the 10 codes should not create confusion. I can't think of a reason why they would. It is true you can sound unprofessional using the 10 codes when you use the wrong ones.

What is trying to be don is set a standard nation wide for all emergency services. The problem I think is the brevity issue what 10-codes offer versus the ease of plain English, which both can get lost in translation.

My department used plain english but there is not set script for it. Some people sa "XXX is responding" where others say "on the air" and that's it and you can't change these people. At least with a set code such 10-4, we know it mean message received.

With codes there is one set of words for each code where as plain english people have a rendency to not use the correct statements they should or hesitate when talking on the radio.

When I listen to New Haven and hear "Engine X signal 75, give me a 22 and start a 26 and the 29's." With the codes, this quick statement in plain english would read "Engine X on scene working fire, give me a second alarm assignment and start an ambulance and the police."

I think a set standard of codes such as the Standard APCO 10-Codes should be used with all agencies. Just my opinion.

We use plain english in Port Chester with 60 control for over a year and a half and so far it seems to work pretty good. I like the old style 10 codes but Chiefs make the rules.

Could the federal government make a list of standard phrases and prowords for emergency services like it does for the military to address the lack of uniformity?

Could the federal government make a list of standard phrases and prowords for emergency services like it does for the military to address the lack of uniformity?

Yes they can, but adhearing to it an making people use a standard script verbatium (word for word) is nearly impossible in the non-military setting. Its the issue of training the mind to say something in the old 3 words of less mentality. People tend not to use plain english the way they should and really is no dicipline behind it either. Having a nation set of codes with each one having a specific exact statement attached to them can eliminate deviation.

But whether using plain english or codes, the powers that be will think of something so complicated where they should be using the KISS method instead. NIMS will take years for it to actually work if using plain english right now.

Edited by IzzyEng4