Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
27east

Can someone help?

11 posts in this topic

So I know some members here are good with computers and stuff like that (I clearly am not one)...Hopefully someone can help me with an internet problem I'm having. Certain sites will not open, Google, for example. It has been like this for a couple of days now. I try to open the page and it says "cannot find server""....

what do I do/can I do..something, anything...

thanks and stay cool

So I know some members here are good with computers and stuff like that (I clearly am not one)...Hopefully someone can help me with an internet problem I'm having. Certain sites will not open, Google, for example. It has been like this for a couple of days now. I try to open the page and it says "cannot find server""....

what do I do/can I do..something, anything...

thanks and stay cool

Do you have a cable modem and or a Router? If so, pull the power on them both, plug back in the cable modem, wait a minute, then plug back in the router. That just might do it.

If you have any software like Cyber Nanny or other blocking software, check to see if is blocking the sites. Also check your internet options under the computeer's control panel. Do this after adlere21's instructions and you area getting the same results.

Sounds like you're having issues with DNS. Could be on your end, could be on your ISP's end.

Assuming you're running XP, try this:

Start > Run > type "ipconfig /flushdns" and hit Enter

That'll clear out the cache of domain names to IP addresses your computer has stored. This usually resolves any issues on your end.

The other, more likely problem, is with the DNS servers your IP is using. This will usually clear itself up quickly, but if not, you can manually change your DNS servers. There's a company out there called OpenDNS that has pretty good free DNS servers you can use instead of the ones your ISP assigned you. I've tried them out, they're very reliable. http://www.opendns.com

PS - Basically "DNS" (Domain Name System) is how a computer translates a URL into the actual IP address of the site you're trying to reach. If the DNS server you're connecting to is either down, unreachable or hasn't been updated, you're going to get the same "Cannot find server" errors you're getting. By the way, it would help us help you better if you could tell us about your situation, such as what operating system you're using, what kind of connection you have (dialup, DSL, cable) and if you use a router or connect directly to the DSL or cable modem.

Edited by res6cue

There have been multiple problems with sites on the east coast for the past couple of days. Some sites have been taking an extraordinary time to load. Many blame the heat.

What browser are you using? I've been hearing multiple reports that the latest drop of Firefox has been causing some problems. (Latest is 1.5.0.5). Do you have the same issue in Internet Explorer?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES!

problem is resolved, however, I didn't do anything.

I have cable with a router and use XP & IE. One desktop and one laptop with wireless. No blocking software. I did run that clean out, but after the problem seems to have resolved itself.

I'm thinking this problem was not on my end. Yes/No?

thank you all again.

For most computer problems, including the CAD system at work, i find this the most usefull remedy.

post-17-1154558088.jpg

Edited by EJS1810

Sounds like it was indeed a DNS problem with the cable company. Glad it's resolved.

Yeah. The problem probably went beyond his own company's DNS. The problem seemed to resolve later on that night.

In related news: if someone is/was having Firefox problems, a newer version just dropped in the last 24 hours bring us to version 1.5.0.6. We're keeping our fingers crossed that that fixes some of the problems.

For most computer problems, including the CAD system at work, i find this the most usefull remedy.

"Hit Any Key to Continue" B)