Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

New Britain, CT told to stop on duty fund drive

5 posts in this topic

From viewing the story, I think that the key words in the issue are "on duty". Also, I think that there must be a lot going on in New Britain...from the Chief on the FD website:

"I am very pleased to initiate the department's first community plan at a time when major changes are happening within our city. My team and I are committed to the principles of customer value which enables us to provide a more effective service for the people of New Britain. These changes will require us as a department to examine how we work and how we can further enhance the services, we provide to our community."

I have no idea what their collective bargaining agreement says about this, I can guarantee you that it will be addressed in the next round of negotiations.

The only time I can recall our FD out at an intersection was when there was one firefighter less than a block from his station, not wearing turnout gear but just a department t-shirt, collecting cash when we sent a pumper down to LA for Katrina recovery efforts.

This happened in the city of Sanford, NC a couple of years ago. Jerry Lewis had a fit and phoned the city manager and mayor. From what I hear he let them have it pretty good. However the city stuck to it's guns and would not allow firefighters to collect money at intersections. It was a safety issue for city leaders and I think the whole workers comp if someone was injured was the real issue. They don't do at all now. To bad they could'nt find a compromise in there somwhere.

FYI- As a previous writer suggested....there is more going on in New Britain.

There has been a significant relationship issue since the City hired their new Fire Chief a few years ago. The Chief (who came from out of the country, I believe Bermuda) has no idea how to work with the members of the Department or the union.

The Local recently took a vote of no-confidence in the Chief (you can read more on the NB fire fighter's site at http://nbfire.us/ . Ironically, the Mayor is now against MDA? Hmmm......

Perhaps the Mayor should be more concerned with his Fire Chief, then trying to prevent the fire fighter's efforts to raise money to assist children.

Edited by x152

I know some guys that work for NBFD. Their Chief came from England. Also the Mayor for the City is on LEAVE from NBFD. He works/worked in the Fire Marshals office. There have been issues ever since the Union supported someone else during the last Mayoral election. I believe their contract is comming up and this will be just the tip of the iceburg for them. On a side note, the city is having a test soon. Alot of guy retired or are up for retirement in the next couple of years and they are short on manpower.

Edited by TFD9427