Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheBuff376

Hero FF From Yorktown?

15 posts in this topic

Who was the hero FF from Yorktown who saved the guy in the house fire?? Sounds like a bit of good news for the Vol FF after seeing the negative stuff earlier in the week...

Who was the hero FF from Yorktown who saved the guy in the house fire??  Sounds like a bit of good news for the Vol FF after seeing the negative stuff earlier in the week...

By BILL HUGHES

whughes@lohud.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: August 17, 2006)

YORKTOWN — A man who apparently fell asleep while smoking a cigarette yesterday was rescued by a volunteer assistant fire chief who saw smoke coming from a Douglas Drive building while working his day job as a town employee.

Assistant Chief Martin McGannon was driving to check out a nearby pump station for the town's wastewater pumping system about 9 a.m. when he saw smoke rising from a second-floor bedroom at 3098 Douglas Drive and got out of his vehicle to check the building. McGannon got inside the front door and found a man at the base of a stairwell conscious but suffering from smoke inhalation. He managed to get the man and his pet cat safely out of the house.

Firefighters from the Yorktown Heights Engine Company 1 arrived and contained the fire to the bedroom while others administered oxygen to the man and his cat until paramedics arrived.

The resident declined further medical treatment and was allowed to remain at the house, which sustained minor damage.

Job well done Chief and Yorktown

GREAT JOB, MARTY!!!!!! GREAT SAVE ALL AROUND!

Congrats Chief.... A great show of duty and honor

Any comment from the cat?

Seriously, nice work, Chief!

very nice job , but do we have to call him a hero ??? , as stated in a ealier post , he spotted smoke from the 2nd floor window , stoped entered thru the front door and found the man at the base of the stairs ,right by the front door .my self and every person on this site would have done the exact same thing ! its our JOB. paid or being a vollie. i am sure he feels ther same way!! lets save the word hero , for when it really counts.

Great job chief. As for the previous post, yes everyone here would have done the same, but it dosen't happen to often, so when it does lets give the guy a pat on the back. I'm sure the guys family considers him a hero.

very nice job , but do we have to call him a hero ???  , as stated in a ealier post , he spotted smoke from the 2nd floor  window , stoped  entered thru the front door and found the man  at the base of the stairs ,right by the front  door .my self and every person on this site would have done the exact same thing ! its our JOB. paid or being a vollie. i am sure he feels ther same way!!  lets save the word hero  , for when it really counts.

The dictionary gives the following meaning to the word hero.A man admired for his achievements and qualities.Thanks,Chief.

I didn't even have to hear who it was, I somehow had a feeling it was Martin.......Yorktown's own version of Superman.

i agree with x635! Martin has th biggest heart, iwould expect nothing less from him.

Good looking out ! :D Helping those in need is the most important thing a person can do in the place they serve. Yorktown Heights is lucky to have you!

Time to feel Proud!