Followers 0
BFD1054

Fire Scene Evidence Collection

6 posts in this topic

***Fire Scene Evidence Collection course***

July 9-11th

20 total hours

Course #1319

Held at the Camp Smith fire training facility.

Phone # (914) 788-6001

Donald Ettinger, Director.

How does one normally get info about classes helf at Camp Smith. I've seen a few classes that might interest me as an EMS provider, and since camp smith is just down the road from me, the location is ideal.

WAS967, we get faxes send to our firehouse, but classes are also sometimes listed in "the Westchester Volunteer" bi-monthly booklet. You could also check the NYS Academy of Fire Science webpage....http://www.dos.state.ny.us/fire/campsmith.html

There is a schedule of classes given at the Camp Smith annex on the webpage.

Hope that helped,

Mike

Thanks mike. It's a great satarting point. Much appreciated.

You can also pick up a copy of their Training Catalog at Camp Smith or even the Westchester County Fire Training Center.

Camp Smith is a SUPER resource that is commonly overlooked. The courses there are generally great, especially all of the Tech Rescue stuff.

We need to boost the enrollment - or we may lose it!

1075, you are absolutely correct with you statement! The State has been looking to close the Camp Smith facility for a while, due to lack of funding, but mostly due to lack of use. If the facility was used more, i don't think they would have a problem with keeping it open. For those of us who live in this part of the county, it is an excellent, local resourse. Hell, even if you don't live up here, its still good to keep in mind! I know a lot of PD's use it for ESU training and such, but us, as the fire service, should try to utilize it, before we lose it!

There is a 2-story structure there that can be used for many training excersize's. We have used our fog machine to "smoke" it out and do search & rescue, and to just get guys used to that type of setting. Its also nice because its new to guys, instead of using the same settings over and over again. I believe that there is also a "breaching wall," you may just have to supply the sheetrock, but i am not 100% positive. We use it for our guys to set up ground ladders and then do bail-out manuevers on the ladders. The nicest thing is that there is actually a mask-confidence course within the 1st floor of the building. It has at least 2 seperate ways to send guys through, which pretty nice.

Also, Camp Smith is obviously used as a site for fire courses. Again, its right around the corner and they offer plenty of excellent courses there. So anyway, lets keep Camp Smith in mind for our training needs, so that the state doesn't shut it down!