Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Greenwich Patrol Hit

8 posts in this topic

From Scan CT, Greenwich's Patrol 2 was struck on September 3rd, at approx. 4am on I-95 in Greenwich.

user posted image

user posted image

To the best of my knowledge I was on scene after the event cleaning up the mess. There was a tractor trailor jack-knife with diesel spill with another car invloved and patrol 2 was protecting the scene awaiting a state sander. The Kia drove into Patrol 2 ejecting the victim out of the seat of the car fatally injuring the driver. 3 firefighters were sent to the hospital with non-life threating injuries. Right after the kia hit the patrol there was another accident involving 6 cars Extrication was needed on 1 or 2 of the 3rd accident. all in all it was a big cluster @%#* and i was glad the whole highway was shut down when i arrived on scene in the tow truck. E2,E31,E5,R5,SQ2,E1,DC4, car4,CSPD X6, all on scene. Patrol 2 is driveable but i believe out of service. I will update if there is any more info i remember. BE SAFE ON THESE HIGHWAYS THE LIFE U SAVE JUST MIGHT BE YOUR OWN.....

Wow, I dod not hear that this was a fatal, in fact the did not even mention it on the news. Not doubting you because I have no details of the incident, but the Kia looks in bad shape for the images.

Just wanted to send a quick thank you to all that responded to I-95 with us the other night. Folks have been asking that we send an update on this incident and as acting Captain I will attempt to give you what I can.

Patrol 2 was on the scene of an MVA on I-95 South between Exits 5 and 4. It was blocking two lanes where there had been a fuel spill and several MVAs (contractors were cleaning up). At approximately 04:10 the fire line was entered and the rig was hit on the passenger side injuring/trapping the driver of the car and the injuring the passenger in the officer seat of Patrol 2. The condition of the driver of the car is not confirmed at this time. The officer of Patrol 2 was taken to Stamford Hospital by GEMS. He was treated, released and will be OOS for a few days for rest.

The truck has heavy body damage on the passenger side and is OOS. We will be doing an evaluation of the damage in the next few days. Just a week ago I made a post about this truck being completely disposable and it most certainly did is job protecting Patrol 1, CSP, and CTDEP; all of which had members working in the area being protected.

I was the officer on Patrol 1 that night. Both Captain Kelly and I were very pleased with our members who after being struck jumped off the rig and immediately began extrication from the car and patient care.

We also wanted to publicly thank the other companies in GFD who reponded faster than I have seen in 10 years in the patrol. Usually we talk about minutes seeming like hours, but that was not the case. Units from Cos Cob, Sound Beach, Central, and Byram responded very effectively to our call for help and once on scene were also able to extricate 2 more people from cars who were involved in yet another accident in the area. We also wanted to thank GPD, GEMS/SEMS, CSP, CTDEP, GFD administration, and Selectwoman Penny Monahan for responding and assisting our members.

Christian Andersen

1st LT Cos Cob Fire Police Patrol

On a related note:

5 Waterbury (CT) Fire Fighters were injured early Sunday morning when their truck was rear-ended by a Honda sedan. The rig was just pulling up to the address when they were hit from behind. The occupant of the Honda was also transported (unknown the extent of injuries).

BE SAFE ON THESE HIGHWAYS THE LIFE U SAVE JUST MIGHT BE YOUR OWN.....

Thursday night on I-95 in Port Orange FL, 2 state troopers were struck by a passing car...both recived non-life threating injuries...Volusia County Eng. 12 was arriveing on scene, when a car traveling at an exessive rate of speed slammed into the rear of it...no FF or P.O. were hurt as the result of the wreck, but it was an eye opener to highway safety for us

These are examples why the City of Rye now responds 1&1 on the highway with patrol (utility 39, if a driver comes). As of last week Ladder 25 responds to all calls on I-95 and 287 in Rye. Safety was a big concern of both the career and volunteers.