Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ryefd192

Also Five Years Ago

12 posts in this topic

I think this is one of the most prominent fires in my mind. The night of September 10th 2001. In Harrison, just off of north st. It was the biggest house fire I had seen, it was a huge mansion on fire. The fire was so strong that the odor could be smelled at my house off of forest ave. in Rye and so that we called in to the FD in fear that one of the then vacant houses on our street was on fire..

Does anyone else recall this alarm, I've been wondering if it sticks in anyone else's mind other than mine......

343.....Never Forget!!!

Remember it well,he fire was in the residence of Bill Fugazy the name of the street slips my mind, but I believe it bordered the Country Club. We were toned out with Purchase for an Engine each to the scene. Upon arrival, Harrison was actually looking for our Tower Ladder to set up in the rear with I believe either Rye or the Village. We initially stood FAST, then went to work attempting to push a line into the top floor before an evacuation was blown. I'm sure HFD750 remebers alot more.

yea i remember that fire... they called in New Rochelle rescue and Bedford Hills rescue

i remember that fire i was thier i was in the explorer post in mamaroneck and mamaroneck was thier so i went the house wa huge and it was repping

How about that Fertilizer (I think it was fertilizer) plant in the Bronx that went up a day or two later. The IC was asking for then to just send what ever they could get their hands on. Eventually started sending westchester units if I remember correctly. Anyone remember who went?

I know that Bedfords Engine 108 was on stand-by down some where in the city on 9/11 but where I just dont remember

another funny thing is that in Port Chester, on 9/12/01, we had a working fire at # 9 - 11 South main st. and we had to call Mamaroneck's ladder to the scene because we had 2 eng's, a ladder, and the rescue down in the city.

There is a chance that Bedford Engine 108 responded to the fertilizer fire as they were stationed in the Bronx.

yea i remember that fire... they called in New Rochelle rescue and Bedford Hills rescue

Was that the fire that they used Bedford Hills rescue for O2 supply for the FF's?

actually the fire was on 9/10-01 on sunnyridge rd. about 8 or 9 pm the house was struck by lighting we had some lighting storms that night. the house was well involved prior our arrival due to no one being home at the time and fire was already blowing thru the entire roof when the engine pulled up. we had just about everyone there that night it turned out to be huge manpower issue due to the heat of the fire and the warm weather, ems was sending alot of men to the hospital that night I was one of them. the next morning I was woken up with a call that a plane crashed into the trade center and I was back to work and in the bronx within a hour.

Your right hfdr19. I forgot that is was started by lightning (good memory) but I do remember it. I was up that night listening for it on the scanners. That night was a night to remember.