Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Firefighter57

Don't cry over spilled milk

14 posts in this topic

wow, thats a lot of milk.

how did they end up cleaning the milk outta that river?

Oh man, the stream is white! I suspect the only reason they boomed the stream was because of the fuel. I don't really think milk would turn it into a hazmat incident, even if it was 6500 gallons of it.

I really like their website too. Nice, clean layout.

Milk is a Haz Mat situation, I just finished my Haz Mat Tech training, this incident is dangerous to the environment and will kill nearly all wildlife living in the affected water. It is not a Haz Mat situation to waht you would normally expect but it is non-the-less.

It is not hazardous to humans but is hazardous the the ecosystem..

Edited by AS702

Well I sure don't remember talking about milk in any hazmat classes I've ever taken, but I suppose too much of anything is hazardous, even if the substance is normally not harmful. Although seeing as how easily milk mixes with water, I imagine it would be nearly impossible to actually remove it just by putting out a few booms.

Milk wouldn't be any kinda hazmat incident?

Oh yeah.... ever have a milk truck overturn and rupture on a 95 degree summer day. Can you say gag city. We even had to get a spill number because of it and was declared a etiological hazard.

Well I sure don't remember talking about milk in any hazmat classes I've ever taken, but I suppose too much of anything is hazardous, even if the substance is normally not harmful. Although seeing as how easily milk mixes with water, I imagine it would be nearly impossible to actually remove it just by putting out a few booms.

Well think of it this way: can fish get oxygen out of the milk?

Is it true that they used Oreos to absorb the milk?

Yea u would need alot of Oreos for that. It's like Willy Wonka with the chocolate river, just this is milk, and it goes sour.

Edited by VFD L29

The booms are for he fuel. You're gonna need oreos and grahm crackers to contain it. Once it reaches the water, it'll just mix, as milk is mostly water.

I have to dispute the Oreos theory here....they would make a poor absorbant since they stay crunchy in milk. I think vanilla wafers might work much better.

I might deploy the giant biscotti absorbent barrier...... rolleyes.gif