Followers 0
Remember585

WCVFA Firefighters of the Year

10 posts in this topic

Westchester firefighters convention honors 11

By BILL HUGHES

whughes@lohud.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: September 16, 2006)

ELMSFORD — Eight volunteer firefighters, two civilians and one police officer were honored at the Westchester County Volunteer Firemen's Association's annual convention.

Each year, the organization names either a person or a group as "Firefighter of the Year," for outstanding service during a single call. This year it went to seven volunteers from the Croton Fire Department who helped rescue a man from a burning building.

The fire was called in shortly before 11 p.m. April 5. The first crew to arrive found the third floor burning and was told a man might be trapped inside. Capt. James Ferguson and firefighter David Altamura ran a hose into the building, forced their way into the apartment and found the man unconscious on a couch.

While Ferguson and Altamura fought the blaze, Lt. Chris Colombo and firefighter Michael Burrows carried the man out of the burning room. Capt. William Vlad and firefighters Matthew Mansfield and David Rinaldi carried the man down the stairs to a waiting ambulance.

The victim, who told paramedics he had fallen asleep while smoking, was hospitalized but made a full recovery.

The Honorable Mention award went to Peekskill firefighter John Rose, Police Officer Christopher Vazious and James O'Brien, a bystander. They all jumped into the Hudson River in October 2005 after an 81-year-old man drove his sport utility vehicle down a boat ramp and submerged it.

Rose freed the man's 80-year-old wife from the passenger seat and Vazious helped get her ashore while O'Brien helped keep the driver's head above water until Rose came back and helped free him.

A Civilian Award was presented to former Carmel Fire Chief Thomas Keck, who was driving a gasoline tanker truck in Ossining on Dec. 17, 2005, when the truck was struck by a motorist who crossed into his lane. The vehicle burst into flames, and Keck, although injured, managed to retrieve two fire extinguishers from his truck and put out the fire.

The Firemen's Association's convention is being held at the Teamster's Local 456 Union Hall in Elmsford. The convention concludes today with a firefighters parade through Elmsford.

Congratulations to all, especially my brothers from Croton, on a job well done. I'm especially proud of the guys from the 119 crew - Captain Ferguson, Lt. Colombo, FF Altamura & FF Rinaldi, because I had the honor of serving as your Captain for three years - "ya done good fellas."

Edited by Remember585

Congrats to all And John Dont Forget to Congrat yourself and 60 control for running that scene when CPD messed up the dispatch and 60 took over in a heartbeat!!!

KUDOS BROTHER FIREFIGHTERS! cool.gif

Congrats to all who won, the brother firefighters, Police officers and the civillians as well. Its always an honor to be singled out for an award. It's got to make you feel good.

james obrien? isnt he a pointer?

I thought the same thing!!! Different guy, though!

Just a follow-up for all....

Civilian Award winner, Ex-Carmel Chief Tom Keck, just had surgery last week to correct a medical condition that was caused by the crash. After a week in the hospital, Tom is at home recupperating.

Just a follow-up for all....

Civilian Award winner, Ex-Carmel Chief Tom Keck, just had surgery last week to correct a medical condition that was caused by the crash.  After a week in the hospital, Tom is at home recupperating.

Hoping for a speedy recovery Tom!

I got home from the hospital on Saturday 9/16/06 surgery went well. I would like to thank all involved who put my name in for the civilan award. Congrats to all the other winners also.

Thomas Keck Sr. rolleyes.gif

James O Brien was from Lake Peekskill.