Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest EMSCOMM80

Empire State EMD

8 posts in this topic

For all you Putnam people out there…

Why is Empire State Ambulance sending their Communications staff to EMD training? Are they going to be routed actual emergency calls?

…just curious.

I believe it is all part of Empire's ongoing effort to enhance their services and develop their training program (several members of the class were NYSP dispatchers). EMD is good training to have even for non 911 dispatching centers as it helps you prioritize calls and think in a linear fashion making sure you don't miss any key information. I have not heard of any plans for Empire to become a 911PSAP now or in the future but you never know what might happen that could precipitate 911 calls being answered at any number of "unusual" places.

I believe it is all part of Empire's ongoing effort to enhance their services and develop their training program (several members of the class were NYSP dispatchers).  EMD is good training to have even for non 911 dispatching centers as it helps you prioritize calls and think in a linear fashion making sure you don't miss any key information.  I have not heard of any plans for Empire to become a 911PSAP now or in the future but you never know what might happen that could precipitate 911 calls being answered at any number of "unusual" places.

Did Putnam 911 send their dispatchers for EMD training? Are they providing that service?

In CT, all emergency telecommunicators / dispatchers no matter who you work for must be certified EMD (it doesn't matter wich brand you use). The last I had heard was that there is a push to make this a national standard for all communication centers that have 911 capabilities. The main reason was to cut down on the plethera of 911 transfers and / or if a caller needed immediate help you can provide the information to help the patient.

All of Putnam 911s dispatchers are EMD certified, I mean it IS a 911 center after all. They answer just about every call for help within the County, minus a few cell phone companies. I imagine this is just part of Empire broadening its horizons. They seem to be offering more CMEs and training opportunities, I think this is just another example of that.

For all you Putnam people out there…

Why is Empire State Ambulance sending their Communications staff to EMD training?  Are they going to be routed actual emergency calls?

…just curious.

It makes sense for EMS personnel to be familiar with the EMD system if they are going to be dispatched using the protocols... They should know the difference between a 26-A-1 and a 9-E-1, and the appropriate level of response that is required for each code.

As mentioned in my blog and on this thread, Empire is working to become a full-service training center. This includes hosting a multitude of courses, EMD being one of them.

These classes are open to everyone, and not just their employees.

Additionally, EMD training is useful for the dispatchers working in the commercial sector.....EMD training helps with private emergencies, stat ALS transports, etc.

No worries to those who do, all 911 calls for help in Putnam County have been and will be handled and dispatched entirely from the Bureau of Emergency Services and with the professional staff that is employed there(hehe).

Don't worry will take it and keep it from here.