Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ja3kfd

One Year Anniversary 9/28/06

4 posts in this topic

Dear All,

It is so incredibly hard to believe that Thursday, September 28, will mark one year since our dear Jimmyboy returned home to God's loving arms. It has been a very bittersweet year for our family with so many changes. We have welcomed a new home and a new face to the family. We have had to adjust to life without our very special boy, Jimmy. It seems that everyday that passes, I miss him more and more. I take each day as it comes, but some days are much harder than others.

I have learned so much from his life and appreciate so many of the little things that I used to just let pass by. I appreciate all those around me that have helped us get through the past 3 years. I love that family and friends stay close and are such a huge part of our life. I, also, love all the new faces we have added to our ever growing family. Life is so unpredictable, and I have learned to accept that and enjoy each moment that I can. Sometimes, in day to day life I literally have to remind myself, because it is so easy to get caught up in everyday things. Now, every morning I look in the mirror and remind myself of who I have become, why and who I still want to be. I remind myself that life is short and at any moment it can change. Life is our gift and at any time it could be over, for any one of us. How do I want to live it? I want to live it with honesty, love, forgiveness and giving to others. I forgive myself when I falter, but realize that like everyone else, I am one of Gods works in progress. I just make sure everyday I have done at least one nice thing for someone. I want a simple life, at least as simple as it can be, but I do want to learn something new everyday.

Life without Jimmy has been the biggest adjustment of our life in the past year. Jimmy's life stood for so much more than I ever anticipated. He taught me how to live again for all the right reasons. Six years with him was not enough, but I do accept what has happened. No parent should lose a child, ever.

I am thankful that I did not know the future when Jimmy was born. If I had, I would have been so busy worrying about him leaving me so quickly that I would not have enjoyed the time I had with him. I experienced his pure love for me and my family. He was sent to me for a reason, and I get it. I miss him like crazy every second. He is an incredible soul that lives on in each of us everyday. Sometimes, at 2:30 in the morning I can hear little feet running around upstairs, and I go to check to see who has woken and they are all fast asleep. I quickly realize that it is Jimmy letting me know that he is ok and running and playing. He is forever present in our home, keeping watch.

God has given me a beautiful family and beautiful people in my life. I am so grateful for that. I pray for happiness and love for all those that surround us. So, as we come upon the year anniversary of his departure, I ask that you share the love and beauty of the day. Just giving a smile can change the view of the day for someone else.

There will be a mass for Jimmy tomorrow, September 27, at St. Joseph's at 9:00 am. Our family will be having a candlelighting in Jimmy's memory at 8:00 pm on Thursday, September 28, at our home at 9 Buenta Way. Please join us that evening. It will be a very difficult day, but we will get through it.

Much love to you and your family and May God bless you each and everyday, Gina & family

Looking back on the past year makes me realize the speed and turbulence of life. I remember on this sad anniversary the lessons Jimmy Boy taught us all, the memories he gave us in his short time, and his enduring parents who gave us him.

Thankfully, through the J.I.M.M.Y. foundation, Jimmy's legacy will live on.

Thoughts and prayers are with the Arena family for the first anniversary of this tragic event.

From all the sorrow and grief, happiness will bloom. It's things like this that make us appreciate the everyday, sometimes mundane things in life that much more.

To Gina and Jimmy, Although I do not know you personally, I am in awe of the strength, courage and grace in which you have handled these tragedies. You have earned my undying respect and admiration. May the good Lord continue to bless you and smile upon you and your family as you look ahead. RIP JimmyBoy, your strength will always be an example to others.

All the best,

Jimmy Blue Eyes

Edited by JBE

Sights & sounds: Remembering James 'Jimmy Boy' Arena

By THE JOURNAL NEWS

FROM STAFF REPORTS

(Original publication: September 29, 2006)

Family and friends held a candlelight vigil to remember James "Jimmy Boy" Arena of Somers on the first anniversary of his death of a brain tumor at age 6.

The boy's battle inspired an outpouring of public support. He died Sept. 28, 2005.

View a LoHud.com sound slideshow on the remembrance

"Jimmy Boy" Slide Show